Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 AM

Default Send / Return w/ Bypassed Reverb

When I set up a Send to an Aux channel with reverb plug-in Insert, but then bypass the plug-in, there's still signal coming through the Aux channel..., is that expected behavior...? I guess I thought the plug-in bypass would mute any signal
Old 05-07-2021, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Send / Return w/ Bypassed Reverb

Yup totally expected. Bypassed plugins not passing signal doesn't make much sense. I automate plugin bypasses on tracks all the time. Say for example I want to turn on a different effect or EQ only for the chorus on a particular track, etc. If you want to hear the signal without any reverb/effects return, just mute the Aux.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:59 AM

I always treat plugins like an effects pedal (the type guitarist use). When you switch it to bypass, the original signal still passes through unaffected like a cable. Therefore it does not mute the signal. If you want to mute the signal, you need to mute the original source track (but effect tails will still linger if present). if you want to take the effect out of the mix, you need to mute the aux (but the source track will still play through without the effect). If you want to mute it completely (source and effect) you need to mute both the original track and the aux that the effect is on. Sorry for being so long-winded, but I just wanted to illustrate the different scenarios at play.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 05-07-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor4814 View Post
When I set up a Send to an Aux channel with reverb plug-in Insert, but then bypass the plug-in, there's still signal coming through the Aux channel..., is that expected behavior...? I guess I thought the plug-in bypass would mute any signal
No, wrong thinking. Plugin bypass just puts its "mix percentage" to zero, but whatever your send/aux is feeding without that plugin is still going. If you want to kill that send altogether, you need to mute that send (or that aux).
Old 05-07-2021, 12:00 PM

Ok, thanks,
Old 05-07-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor4814 View Post
It's all about signal flow and components along that signal flow.

Bypass
A Plugin is a component that is inserted into the signal chain to applies all its processing. When you BYPASS that component, the signal goes around that component, hence the name "bypass" and has noe effect on the signal along the signal chain. Keep in mind that the Plugin still receives the in input signal and processes that signal and, therefore, eating up CPU cycles.
This is necessary for automating the Bypass Control. Making a Plugin "Inactive" will also bypass it, but now it doesn't receive any signal and is not processing anything.

Mute
To mute a signal along the signal chain, you would have a Mute switch/button in the signal chain and by enabling that component, the signal flow is interrupted at that point.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/