Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM

Default DV Toolkit for OMF files

I'm trying to import OMF files for a film project I'm working on. I'm running PT LE on a Mac, with DV Toolkit installed. However, when I get to the point of import, I get an error message telling me that I can't import some of the files because I don't have the Avid Engine installed. What can I do to fix it?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM

Default Re: DV Toolkit for OMF files

sound like the OMF has imbedded video
better to get a QT of the picture and use OMF just for the audio

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-27-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn dart View Post
I'm trying to import OMF files for a film project I'm working on. I'm running PT LE on a Mac, with DV Toolkit installed. However, when I get to the point of import, I get an error message telling me that I can't import some of the files because I don't have the Avid Engine installed. What can I do to fix it?
That should not happen if you do not highlight the movie track for import. Maybe it is a bug? I don't have LE so I cannot check here, but I'd make sure any/all video tracks are NOT highlighted for import.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:10 AM

I tried de-selecting the video & just exporting the audio files from FCP. Same thing: "Unable to import some tracks because the Avid engine is not installed."
Any other ideas?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Unable to import some tracks because the Avid engine is not installed.
Does anything at all get imported? Have you tried importing only one track at a time? I am confused because the error message does not have anything to do with audio from omf.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:02 PM

Nothing at all gets imported. I've tried a single track & stereo L&R tracks - nothing. Would the Avid engine message have anything to do with the way I installed the DV Toolkit & other options when I installed the Pro Tools 7.4 upgrade? This is my first time trying to import OMFs, so I've never yet seen how a successful import looks.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn dart View Post
I've never yet seen how a successful import looks.
make an one audio track session in PT (with one audio region), export as OMF and then try importing this OMF into PT, we'll see if your DigiTranslator works AT ALL
Old 03-03-2009, 11:51 AM

I found the answer. Instead of working in an open session and trying to import the OMF files through the traditional import drop-down, I closed out the session and started over. I then went to open a session, and instead of choosing an existing Pro Tools session, I chose the OMF file as my session. From there, all the correct dialogue boxes kicked in and I got my discreet audio files intact from the Final Cut session.
Glad it worked - hope this helps someone else working with PTLE & OMFs.