Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 10:44 PM

Default Logic 7 and Protools Mix Systems Incompatability

I have Just tried to get Logic 7 running on my Mix cube system under the latest 0s 10.3.6 with latest version of tools 6 and it will not run any audio instruments. Can anyone tell me if digidesign plans to fix this as I am not very happy. I dont want to hear "you need a HD system" as I do not. I am very happy with my Mix Cube with an extra mix farm in a magna chasis with an AD800, 1622 and two 888/24's. Has anyone else expierienced the same issue???. As a power Logic User I am not alone using this config and am blown away by the latest Logic 7 pro but I can only run it on my laptop. I recon there must be quit a few thousand people in my boat.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Logic 7 and Protools Mix Systems Incompatabili

By "audio instruments", you could be referring to at least four different items:

1. native-based Direct TDM (DTDM) instruments (including ReWire) with the Emagic System Bridge (ESB), or, EXS24 TDM
2. native-based Host TDM (HTDM) instruments (e.g., EVP88 + Host TDM authorization on XSkey)
3. TDM plug-in instruments (hosted on a DSP chip, e.g., Virus Indigo or Emagic ES1 TDM)
4. native-based Real-Time AudioSuite (RTAS) instruments [supported only by Pro Tools 6.x, and I believe, Digital Performer 4.5 as well, but not by Logic]

I've never had any problems with items 2 & 3. Item 4 is questionable, as I CAN get an RTAS instanciation of Native Instruments FM7 to produce sound when triggered from its own keyboard, but no MIDI output to the plug-in appears to Logic, as with items 2 & 3.

I have frequently had problems with item 1 (ESB TDM / EXS24 TDM), though I have traced this back to two things:

A. one must use the 32-voice playback engine, not 64-voice (this is indicated in the white TDM manual included w/ Logic Pro 7)
B. one ABSOLUTELY must de-instanciate each and every ESB output (DTDM objects assigned to ESB outputs) and input (DAE objects having an ESB input) after re-arranging interfaces across cards, then save song file and re-boot the machine.

Item B really killed me while recording ten channels of live drum tracks during a recent overdub session: none of the existing Direct TDM instruments would work as previously, though I had recently re-ordered the interfaces. The trick above (common sense to some) worked, and I have been tracking without problems since. Whew!

The upside of this is that I'm less likely to ditch TDM altogether on the "big system", which has a lot of legacy MIDI modules attached into two 1622 interfaces, among other things. And I do enjoy mixing in Pro Tools, for what it DOESN'T allow me to do on the MIDI side, forcing me to listen. But the music-making capabilities of newer Apple hardware (e.g., iMac G5) running plug-in instruments natively, with Logic's Freeze function, are hard to beat.

Methinks I will have both worlds available to me.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Logic 7 and Protools Mix Systems Incompatability

Hello Ricky,

Are you running logic under coreaudio? or DAE for TDM? If you're running under DAE you will have to install the Emagic system bridge (ESB) this will enable you to run audio instruments from the logic mixer and then route them into the DAE mixer.

OS 10.3.6! who reccomended this? digi haven't qualified it yet! what about appleMagic!!

perhaps you could give more specific detais of your setup and people could help more.

Regards

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:09 AM

Thanks man I seem to have it going now, and it seems to be working, I think I might try going back a few verions of osx. I will spend tomorrow testing but I now have all my logic instruments going and my AU instruments are working to. The 32 voice mode got it going and when I turned off core audio it seemed to be more stable. Thanks for the help.
Ricky
Old 12-05-2004, 01:27 AM

By the way, I'm running a PT Mix Cubed + DSP Farm in an 1,25Ghz G4 (only OSX Boot) with Logic 7 and OSX 10.3.4. It works perfect. I have installed ProTools 6.2.2 on my System and it's running also perfect with my Mix Cubed.