Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2002, 10:00 PM

Default Digi 001 How many hardware inserts?

I know that you can hook up to 18 inputs (8 analog, 8 ADAT and 2 SPDIF) to a 001. Can you do something similar with inserts? The analog is a no brainer. However, it appears you may not be able to do the SPDIF and the analog 1 and 2 simultaneously. As far as the ADAT interface goes, how would you hook 8 different devices?

Any help would be appreciated. I am making some hardware purchase decisions.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Digi 001 How many hardware inserts?

This is a question I've been wondering on for some time; the only way to do it would be to use some kind of digital ADAT patch bay capable of signal splitting/merging so as to send all of the 8 ADAT signals on the lightpipe out and distribute them to 4 stereo (or 8 mono) devices, with the reverse process on the way back (merging), but I haven't found a similar device so far; there's a company called HOSA which produces ADAT patchbays, but they didn't incorporate this feature on any of their model yet.

Maybe in the next fufture we'll see something similar show up. That would be cool: being able to use up to 8 additional hardware effects processors DIGITALLY, without any AD/DA conversion and no hit on CPU power [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .

Cheers

L.G.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gerax:
This is a question I've been wondering on for some time; the only way to do it would be to use some kind of digital ADAT patch bay capable of signal splitting/merging so as to send all of the 8 ADAT signals on the lightpipe out and distribute them to 4 stereo (or 8 mono) devices, with the reverse process on the way back (merging), but I haven't found a similar device so far; there's a company called HOSA which produces ADAT patchbays, but they didn't incorporate this feature on any of their model yet.

Maybe in the next fufture we'll see something similar show up. That would be cool: being able to use up to 8 additional hardware effects processors DIGITALLY, without any AD/DA conversion and no hit on CPU power [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .

Cheers

L.G.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks! Although not exactly what we all want but an acceptable temporary solution would be a ADAT to 8 analog/ 8 analog to ADAT converter. Any of those out there?
Also, am I correct that SPDIF and analog 1 and 2 aren't independant as they are when used as inputs?
Old 07-11-2002, 08:30 PM

Plenty of 8 analog - Adat & vice versa available - try: Fostex VC8, Alesis AI3, Swissonic, Aardvark Tango 24, RME ADI 8 Pro.
Dave
Old 07-12-2002, 06:36 AM

Try this one on.
Oasys.
This gives the Digi
8 mono/4 stereo sends
ditto returns.
The great thing is you can use the Oasys mixer to combine 8 stereo outs in the Oasys to the 4 you are limited to.
I use it this way.
8 mono sends to eight diff effects all returned anyway I want. And it sounds GREAT!!!

MC
Old 07-12-2002, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mixin'chick:
Try this one on.
Oasys.
This gives the Digi
8 mono/4 stereo sends
ditto returns.
The great thing is you can use the Oasys mixer to combine 8 stereo outs in the Oasys to the 4 you are limited to.
I use it this way.
8 mono sends to eight diff effects all returned anyway I want. And it sounds GREAT!!!

MC
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Isn't that the Korg unit that has been discontinued? Why the H??? did they discontinue it?