Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-05-2002, 08:40 AM

Default Aux Reverb (does it have latency ???)

Hi guys, can someone give me an answer to my problem ?
I don't have any outboard processor (besides pre's and compressor). Like usual, many singers like to have little (or a lot?) reverb during vocal take. so The trick is, I bus the vocal track to stereo aux track, put reverb 100% wet on it, and select no output, on vocal track (So my singer won't hear the latency from digi monitor). what she heard was vocal that coming direct from the mixer, and the reverb that coming from aux track through digi monitor.
My question is :
- Is this method right ?
- My singer feel the reverb from my RVerb is strange. Is it just her ? or do reverb on aux track have latency ? (So it's not sync with vocal that coming from mixer)
Please help me.

What method do you guys using for vocal take when you don't have outbord effect processor ?.

Thanks a lot
DM
Old 04-05-2002, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Aux Reverb (does it have latency ???)

DM,
Assuming I'm understanding you, you are using an external mixer (probably for it's preamp) and then coming into PTLE to record the vocal?

There will definately be some latency doing this even if you didn't use reverb. (I.e. - listened to the mixer vocal and the dry vocal.) There will be additional latency from the Aux track/RVerb combo also.

You might consider looking for a really cheap outboard reveb unit if it's critial to solve this problem. you might find something on Ebay. I see an Alesis Microverb on Ebay this morning for $50.01 (reserve not met yet) so there are some units that seem to be pretty cheap.

Mark
Old 04-05-2002, 04:30 PM

So there is no way to record vocal without using outboard reverb ? I mean, plug in reverb are useless except for mixing ?
Please tell me if anyone use plug in reverb as reverb during vocal take, and don't have latency. If there is no way to do that (Sucks..), I will look in the ebay and hunt for the good reverb processor..
If anyone can share their experience (anyone that don't have outboard reverb and using digi001. or maybe it's just me ?? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img])I will be very happy to hear them.

thanks for the help.
DM
Old 04-05-2002, 04:55 PM

What's your H/W buffer setting? Just bring it down to 128 or 256 samples and the latency will be negligible, especially for listening to reverb while recroding.

I often use the True Verb on an aux track, mute the input track and set the bus to pre when doing what you're doing.

Steve
Old 04-05-2002, 07:04 PM

Thanks steve..
True Verb ? is it better than RVerb on VOX? I always think Rverb is better. what do anyone else think ?

Thanks
DM
Old 04-06-2002, 12:57 AM

Take the pre-delay out of the verb....only while tracking.

Bastiaan
Old 04-06-2002, 01:30 AM

The general consensus is that RVerb is better than TrueVerb, and I agree.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:02 AM

Hi there,
I can't confirm this. The TrueVerb is just a little more complicated to set up (room simulation versus classical reverb). If it is done correctly it sounds much better and more natural (my opinion). About your problem, just remove any predelay and everything is fine.

Have a nice sounding day
Old 04-06-2002, 10:02 AM

Here you go. Make the send on the vocal pre-fader. mute the vocal channel. monitor the dry vocal through your console and everything else (including verb) through the digi. If the vocal take is out of time (by a negligible amont) nudge forward 20-40 ms. set up verb with no predelay and minimise early reflections.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:32 AM

Trueverb is ostensibly the same as rverb - the differences are that r-verb has a (supposedly) nicer tail (its different, anyways, and r-verb has a more user-friendly layout. Both can be used for different sounds. Truverb tends to be a bit less dense than r-verb. r-verb uses less CPU than Truverb (with the newer .dll files on the waves site) so I tend to use multiple rverbs and eq some of the density out.