Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Setup 101

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to setup a cost effective recording room for my band.

Although I have been playing for years I am a noob at this recording stuff so bear with me.

I realise there are degree programs based on what I am asking but I already have plenty of student debt on 5 years and 2 Engineering degrees so going back to school on this stuff is not an option. Therefore I will try to teach myself, with some help from more experienced people on here and other places.

What I am looking for at this stage is a basic 101 on what equipment configurations are required for basic recording of analog signals (guitar, drums, some idiot warbling etc).

I figured using older digidesign devices would be a more cost effective route since I don't do this for a living.

A friend has donated me a 1622 (minus the 60 pin cable annoyingly) , I have a 16 channel mixing board, and an 8 channel amp/mixer (used for monitors). I have a PC I can cannibalise and I have the noise making equipment (guitars, drums etc).

Am right in thinking I need a d24 core PCI card in my PC to hook up to the 1622? Or would that be all too easy?

Again a how to setup hardware 101 for recording numpties would be a great starting point.

BTW, what is a FARM card???
Old 03-16-2010, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Setup 101

You will need:
a 60 pin to 60 pin cable (hard to find)
a D24 card (I have several for sale)
at least one DSP farm (I have these as well)
a TDM ribbon cable (I may have one as well)

that does it for hardware.

You will also need a copy of the Pro Tools program.

I would also get a G4 mac to run it all on.

A Farm Card is a computer card that has the DSP processing chips that pro tools uses for plugins and mixing etc.