Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2022, 01:43 PM

Default Re: The end of perpetual licenses

So what happens to people who bought reinstatement codes in 2021 when they were briefly reintroduced, but didn't redeem them (because we were told they could be redeemed later)?
Old 04-26-2022, 01:51 PM

You can still use them as normal. Asked Avid this exact question. Don't activate till you need it.
HD Native
HD Omni
HD 8x8x8
HD 16x16
S1 x3
Old 04-26-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG602 View Post
You can still use them as normal. Asked Avid this exact question. Don't activate till you need it.
Was hoping this would be the answer - thanks!
Old 04-26-2022, 02:00 PM

…and very surprised to read that Avid are offering new reinstatements for perpetual.

This all seems utterly bizarre to me. If you are lapsed perpetual license holder, they positively encourage you to get up to date with your perpetual license. In fact, if you are a perpetual license holder they no longer offer a crossgrade to subscription - come back on board, old timer! Yet for new customers, you can ONLY be subscription. Oh, and if you need post features, your annual subs increase from $399 to $999.

Unfathomable. It feels like Avid have made a random policy generator.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-26-2022, 02:08 PM

On a personal level I feel pity for marketing people.
What kind of life is it to constantly come up with new ways to pressure others into buying?
AVID tries to artificially make an unlimited resource (bits and bytes) rare.
So, this time it is NEW perpetual licenses.
Last time it was reinstatements.

BUY NOW!

As I said, on a personal level I feel pity for marketing people. I am pretty sure I would need more than a prozac a day if this was my life‘s main goal.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:08 PM

I'm still waiting to find out what owners of Voice Packs are going to be offered in compensation. Avid said on a public forum that some offer or discount would be made to Voice Pack perpetual owners, but that never materialized.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
…and very surprised to read that Avid are offering new reinstatements for perpetual.

This all seems utterly bizarre to me. If you are lapsed perpetual license holder, they positively encourage you to get up to date with your perpetual license. In fact, if you are a perpetual license holder they no longer offer a crossgrade to subscription - come back on board, old timer! Yet for new customers, you can ONLY be subscription. Oh, and if you need post features, your annual subs increase from $399 to $999.

They "say" you can reinstate expired perpetual from your account. $349 for Studio. They even have a nice looking flow chart showing that option. But it's not available in my account. Only subscriptions.

Attached Images
File Type: png Reinstatement.png (68.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Subscriptions.png (31.9 KB, 0 views)
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs

Last edited by QuikDraw; 04-26-2022 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Additional information, images.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikDraw View Post
They "say" you can reinstate expired perpetual from your account. $349 for Studio. They even have a nice looking flow chart showing that option. But it's not available in my account. Only subscriptions.
That could be a glitch - looks okay on mine. I’ve held a reinstatement license for vanilla for a while which I haven’t used, and there’s a box there today on My Avid to put in the code.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-26-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
It feels like corporate marketing have completed their takeover, The product doesn't matter. They're on the "Rebrand" train as if that fixes their issues.

Everyone complained about having two versions of PT so instead of going to one marketing said "We should have 3, that's better than 2!"

Maybe I'm getting old but if users have to resort to third-party spreadsheets to figure out which version they need you might have a problem.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:42 PM

It's a load of fanfare and flashy marketing for what is really a very 'thin' update. Customizable keyboard shortcuts and unlocking existing features that were previously locked to create a tier system and some bugs fixed.
The only winners here are the standard Pro Tools users, who get a load of new exclusively Ultimate features and the new base level PT is now usable for small projects.
Just making the top tier unlock the use of their 'own' hardware for a huge price seems a really lame idea, especially in the current market.

Also, I know the mods are doing a sterling job of trying to manage this, but were Avid ambushed by their own release, it certainly feels that way?