Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-04-2015, 10:09 AM

Default 3rd Party Interfaces You Can ChangeThe Bit/Sample Rate Of From Within Pro Tools...

Some third party interfaces allow their bit/sample rate to be changed from within Pro Tools just like an Avid/Digidesign interface does. Others require a two step of changing the bit/sample rate at the interface or using its software mixer and then within Pro Tools. Is there a list of which does the former rather than the latter? While my 002 Rack is still working with Pro Tools 12.2, I know it won't at some point in the future and I'd like to be prepared, but have the same one step I do now.

Thanks,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-04-2015, 10:48 AM

Default Re: 3rd Party Interfaces You Can ChangeThe Bit/Sample Rate Of From Within Pro Tools..

Usually, at least on a Windows machine, that's indicative that Windows has selected the PT interface as the "default sound device." Which locks the sample rate before you ever get INTO Pro Tools. Best thing is re-designate the on-board sound card for Windows, then you can change sample rates within Pro Tools all you want to, and it isn't interface-specific.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:09 AM

Default Re: 3rd Party Interfaces You Can ChangeThe Bit/Sample Rate Of From Within Pro Tools..

That's likely going to be a very short list, at least for "vanilla" on PCs. The list will be even shorter if you want to be able to set the buffer size and have the resulting interface I/O delays correctly reported to PT to enable proper record latency (RTL) compensation. Does the 002 Rack do that? (192 and 96 reportedly don't without HDX http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2269524&postcount=77)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Some third party interfaces allow their bit/sample rate to be changed from within Pro Tools just like an Avid/Digidesign interface does. Others require a two step of changing the bit/sample rate at the interface or using its software mixer and then within Pro Tools. Is there a list of which does the former rather than the latter? While my 002 Rack is still working with Pro Tools 12.2, I know it won't at some point in the future and I'd like to be prepared, but have the same one step I do now.

Thanks,
Old 09-04-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Usually, at least on a Windows machine, that's indicative that Windows has selected the PT interface as the "default sound device." Which locks the sample rate before you ever get INTO Pro Tools. Best thing is re-designate the on-board sound card for Windows, then you can change sample rates within Pro Tools all you want to, and it isn't interface-specific.
amen to that. I have always set Windows to use the on-board sound card for all non-PT audio

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-04-2015, 11:29 AM

Thanks sw and albee. I'm well aware of setting the onboard as the default for Windows sounds/audio. I had posted in another thread that with all third party interfaces one had to do the two step to change bit/sample rate on the interface and in Pro Tools, but a few people posted that that wasn't the case for all third party interfaces. I was just curious if there was possibly a list of the third party interfaces that acted like an Avid/Digidesign interface when changing the bit/sample rate.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-05-2015, 10:29 AM

The list: RME device(s): Apparently support sample rate changes but not buffer size changes from PT - http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2209578&postcount=30. There's lots of other interesting/useful background information in other posts on that thread too. No one has yet said how well PT compensates for RME I/O latency though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Thanks sw and albee. I'm well aware of setting the onboard as the default for Windows sounds/audio. I had posted in another thread that with all third party interfaces one had to do the two step to change bit/sample rate on the interface and in Pro Tools, but a few people posted that that wasn't the case for all third party interfaces. I was just curious if there was possibly a list of the third party interfaces that acted like an Avid/Digidesign interface when changing the bit/sample rate.

Cheers,
Old 09-05-2015, 11:10 AM

And works a treat with Apollo Quad / Apollo 16 interfaces. No restarts or issues changing buffer or sample rate etc

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-05-2015, 11:24 AM

Mac or PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And works a treat with Apollo Quad / Apollo 16 interfaces. No restarts or issues changing buffer or sample rate etc
Old 09-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
Mac or PC?
Both

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-05-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
That's likely going to be a very short list, at least for "vanilla" on PCs. The list will be even shorter if you want to be able to set the buffer size and have the resulting interface I/O delays correctly reported to PT to enable proper record latency (RTL) compensation. Does the 002 Rack do that? (192 and 96 reportedly don't without HDX http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2269524&postcount=77)
The quirk with the Avid interfaces could be fixed already and it seems to have affected Macs, not PC. Also must remember those interfaces are not supported with HDN/HDX though they do work.

002/003 work fine and change buffer and sample rate fine. They do not have drivers that do not have accessible control panels like the eleven rack. Only can be controlled by the host software. Also to remember the 002 hasn't been supported in years and the 003 hasn't been supported for quite awhile either

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10