Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Default looping regions not tight with 10.1.2

wow, I have been using tools for over eight years and never noticed this until 10.1.2 (HD software but using CoreAudio) under OS X 10.6.8:

I usually create a click track on a stereo audio track by placing one sidestick on each beat of a bar, region group that and loop it until the end of the song.

now when I look at the last click on the grid it is off by a couple of milliseconds (and the ones before as well of course).

The same happens when I duplicate the one bar region group throughout the song.

Is this a known bug or could someone please see if this happens on their system as well, I would really appreciate it, because it is driving me nuts, really!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 PM

Default Re: looping regions not tight with 10.1.2

This happened for the last 3 versions too.. 7, 8, 9 and now 10.

I used to know the explanation.. something about sample rounding and such... The fix/workaround is to be aware of it and check to make certain you are starting your clips in the right place each time...

It's a stupid thing to have to watch for but there it is..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM

wow, I always thought the PRO in ProTools was for professional
anyways, thanks for the advice, I really don`t want to know how many bands have received "bad" click tracks from me over the last year, haha. Truly, I never noticed until today because there were preproduced drums that started flamming on the downbeats.

I have had an issue in the past where the builtin click instrument was definately not tight, so since then have decided to move over to an audio click.

So what is everybody using for click tracks?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM

I either plug one in and record it, create my own using audio and just making sure it's lined up, or mostly I'll use a loop in Stylus with some sort of pattern that has a feel that is conducive to what the muso's are trying for..

Much easier to play to something musical and stay in time than to a clinical click for a lot of folks. Even if they get out, it's still usually musical/useable and they get back on fairly quickly.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!