Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 AM

Default noob questions about virtual instruments.

Long time PT user, but mostly analog recording. Old timer really and not much of a keyboardist or midi user, so I am well off from the learning curve when it comes to VI etc....

So I bought this little M-audio thing, made myself a work-station pretty much solely for creating drums, but I would also like to start learning to work with soft-synths and virtual instruments since there's been a lot of awesome sounding stuff out there for years now.

My little scheme is to use this work-station as a learning tool to get me up to speed with new PT versions since my main PT rig is about to be overhauled and upgraded.

Problem is I am totally and unabashedly clueless when it comes to using VI, how to set it up, what does what.. how to make sounds etc...

Apparently this version of PT - 8.0something has their Structure samples on it - something to get me started anyway.

Now for the dumb question - how the hell do I use it? Point and laugh, sure, but if anyone knows of a tutorial somewhere I would sure appreciate it:)

Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 AM

Default Re: noob questions about virtual instruments.

Knowing exactly what "this little M-audio thing" actually is might helpas would knowing some more details, like what interface you have and how you are getting MIDI into the system. In any case, here's some general advice. If your M-Audio thing connects to the computer with USB, then you need to install the drivers for it(it should have included a disk). Next thing to do is go to a PT session and hit Hardware>Midi>Midi Studio. In that new window, create a new "instrument" and name it M-Audio thing(or whatever you want to call it). On the right of that window, there are drop down menus for make, model, input and output. Make and model are totally optional(you don't need that info for function). Since you are feeding Midi info IN only(no point in sending Midi info back to the keyboard if it has no internal sounds). The one thing that needs to be assigned is the Midi input source. If you have a USB connection and installed the drivers, then the M-Audio thing should show up on that menu for selection. If you are connecting with midi cables to something like an Mbox, then you would select the Mbox Midi Input. Close that window and create a new Instrument track(usually a STEREO one). Insert an instrument plugin in the top insert slot(slot A). In PT8 you have a few choices between Structure Free, BOOM, DB-33, MiniGrand and Hybrid(?). For testing, I would choose MiniGrand. Give it a moment to load the sounds(its ready when you can mouse-click on the keys and hear piano). With any luck, your controller will now play sounds. If you put the Instrument track into RECORD and play on the M-Audio keyboard, when you stop and play it back, you should hear exactly what you played(whether that's good or bad is up in the air). Once you have midi notes showing on the track(select Notes view) you can edit the midi to "improve" the performance

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 AM

You've been very helpful and I appreciate it. Like I said, I've been using PT for 10 or so years now, but I basically record live tracks, and just never got into the VI stuff. I hate sounding like a total noob lol - i can make great recordings with mic's and amps I swear!

Anyway, I bought the M-Audio "Recording Studio" package for my little stand-alone workstation. It does not have a midi-out so having a keyboard controller is out for now. I'm a guitarist so keys and stuff baffle me. I was hoping to be able to just draw my notes in as I have done before.

So, you're saying the Instrument track is the track to use for using VI, correct? Of course, I find that the Instrument tracks are disabled in my new version (8.0.something). Tricked again - into upgrading I guess.

So there is no work-around with that - maybe midi tracks and an aux?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM

This must be a case of operator error. Instrument tracks work great in PT8 without buying anything extra. Try this basic setup. Create a stereo instrument track. Insert MiniGrand in the top insert slot. Put the track in NOTES view. Take the pencil tool and drop some notes on the piano roll. Hit play and the notes SHOULD make sound. If they don't, then something is not set correctly. It might be worth it to pay a local Pro Tools users to come spend a few hours to get you rolling on this

Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 PM

and just who would I hire for this?? lol Nashville ain't but 4 hours from here!!

I'm at the day job now but I'll give it a shot when I get home. I've probably been looking at this the wrong way, especially since I don't know how to be looking at it in the first place.

This reminds me of the crap I went through just figuring out how to set up buss tracks years ago... it was something that didn't make sense because I couldn't hold it in my hand like I can with a patchbay and a bunch of outboard gear.

bear with me!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:36 PM

ok, got it working. Thanks again.

Now to just figure out the easiest best way to do some drums and I'll be all set.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Youtube has a number of video tutorials too. Just type in the VI name and you'll get a bunch. that should help you get started.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveleye View Post
ok, got it working. Thanks again.

Now to just figure out the easiest best way to do some drums and I'll be all set.

Thanks for your help.
Toontracks ezdrummer is a great way to start. Watch some videos on that(youtube or the toontrack website).