Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Default Assign outs to multiple tracks simultaneously

In the olden days (Pro Tools 7.4 and earlier), when I wanted to send multiple tracks to the same aux bus (in my example here, drums), all I had to do was make the desired tracks be the only ones visible, and control (or option cannot remember at moment) click the output and assign it to the aux I wanted.

Now, in 9, when I do this, all the selected tracks in my group will indeed be bussed to the same output. BUT.... All the tracks on the mixer that fall after the last track in my group ALSO get assigned to that bus, even if they are not selected or visible. In this instance, drums are on the left side of my mixer, instruments fall to the right. Even if they are not visible or grouped with the drums, ALL of the bass, guitars and vocals and other auxes get sent to the drum bus too. That never happened before. You cannot undo it. So one wrong click and I have to manually adjust 60 other tracks....

What I've been forced to do is take my drum tracks, select all those tracks, and then drag them all the way to right on the pro tools mixer. Never had to do that before. I do a lot of bussing. Assigning busses to 100 tracks per session adds up quickly to a lot of time lost.

Is this a new feature or bug? Is there some new checkbox I have missed?

brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Assign outs to multiple tracks simultaneously

Quote:
In the olden days (Pro Tools 7.4 and earlier), when I wanted to send multiple tracks to the same aux bus (in my example here, drums), all I had to do was make the desired tracks be the only ones visible, and control (or option cannot remember at moment) click the output and assign it to the aux I wanted.
What? You select the tracks, press and hold Shift+Option, and select the output(s) you want from any of the selected tracks. Don't know if this is the way it works in 9, though.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Select the tracks and option+shift click.
This has always been that way.

Hope this helps,
Timothy

Ups, PTLOVER got it faster. Ctrl click is for multiple routing (e.g. Out 1+2 and Out 3+4)
Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Maybe I didn't explain this too well.

Make a session.
Make 4 audio tracks.
Make the first 2 tracks Group 1
Make the second 2 tracks Group 2
Go over to the left Groups panel in the edit window
Control Click on Group 1 to make ONLY track 1 and 2 visible
Make sure only Group 1 is selected in the Group Panel
Now Option click the output tab, and select a bus or different output

All the tracks in Group 1 should go to that new output. this is nothing new. What IS new to me, is that when you option click on Groups:All to show all tracks, you'll notice that Tracks 3 and 4 are also going to that new output destination. That didn't happen before. In 7.4 and earlier, tracks 3 and 4 would've been left alone. That's how it should be, to my logic.

This is a huge prob for my workflow. Because it carries into assigning plugins. Lets say I have a huge Gospel track, where I want to assign a specific compressor only the vocal groups channels. I select my group, make it the only set of tracks visible, and option click to insert the compressor in insert one. BOOM.... every insert one plugin in the WHOLE session becomes that compressor. All the other settings, etc are wiped. And now I have to restore from a backup. That didn't happen before.

Am I nuts? This has to be a new issue. I've done it this way for years. Now it's changed.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 AM

Just add the shift key to your workflow as mentioned above and it should function exactly how you want it to. Option will always be "All" and disregard any selections.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 02-23-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
This is a huge prob for my workflow. Because it carries into assigning plugins. Lets say I have a huge Gospel track, where I want to assign a specific compressor only the vocal groups channels. I select my group, make it the only set of tracks visible, and option click to insert the compressor in insert one.
If you make some minor tweaks to your workflow you'll be golden.
  • click the group ID letter in the Groups list to select all its members
  • press and hold Shift+Option
  • select the outputs of choice on any of the selected tracks
Obviously, you may not like the way I work, and that's fine, but it seems fiddley to me that you must hide tracks before instantiating plugins to selected tracks. You mustn't...
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 AM

All of the suggestions here are correct. If you add shift, as suggested, to your workflow assigning the outputs to the selected tracks will occur as desired. It's always worked that way.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:41 PM

i am having a similar issue
i select two tracks then Option+shift+click > New Track > Aux Track then it does this.... (see picture)
and it effectively mutes the two selected tracks.
what am i doing wrong here guys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aux problem.jpg (60.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfobv View Post
i am having a similar issue
I keep getting this too when I import other studio's session files and try to send "sends" to a "new track". Sometimes going to the I/O and clicking "default" works but sometimes it doesn't. Is the only way around this to import a saved profile? I feel like this should be something easy that I am clearly messing up and not having consistent results with.