Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM

Default Can I please have help making drum tracks?

I honestly have no idea how to make a decent drum track in Pro Tools. Even among the presets on the virtual beat instruments there was nothing even close to what I was looking for. I want some good drum beats to use in rock/metal songs. How would I even start to make stuff like that via Pro Tools? Also, when I actually manage to get a good beat, how would I get it in my recording?

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

I own Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE for the PC.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Can I please have help making drum tracks?

Don't you have BFD lite? It should be included under 3rd party software in your Avid account. Read the manual included with it and you will find a ton of info on this very subject.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 AM

That's why some folks hire....perish the thought.....a drummer. Sorry, I had to. Anyway, go to toontrack.com or youtube and look for tutorials on EzDrummer. That might be a great route for you as its a simple as opening the loops library, auditioning loops till you find the one that works, and drag&drop it to a stereo instrument track(while in GRID mode). Its an easy way to build a drum performance, and you can feel free to edit the midi info all day long to make it "your own".

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 AM

Smile Re: Can I please have help making drum tracks?

TGFYT

Thank
God
for
Youtube
Tutorials........

D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Thanks, guys, that's what I needed.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Also, once you get your hands on EZDrummer/Superior Drummer (or the like) be sure to check out http://www.oddgrooves.com or http://groovemonkee.com to download thousands of awesome, realistic MIDI grooves. Some you even get free...non quantized...sounds killer. Totally saved me from headache of programming!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDaddy View Post
Also, once you get your hands on EZDrummer/Superior Drummer (or the like) be sure to check out http://www.oddgrooves.com or http://groovemonkee.com to download thousands of awesome, realistic MIDI grooves. Some you even get free...non quantized...sounds killer. Totally saved me from headache of programming!
Thanks. But, I'm probably sticking with BFD lite, since I have very little money. I'm buying a $300 piano keyboard pretty soon, and that's going to drain me to nothing. I can't afford a $180-$350 drum kit. And from the looks of it, full drum kits don't get much cheaper than that. There is absolutely no way I am going to spend that much more money on something I won't even be making much money on. If I could find something more in the $50-$60 range, that would be more acceptable, but there doesn't appear to be much. Thanks for the help, though.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 PM

Get Addictive Drums at Guitar Center. It's on special this month for $99. Sounds better and way more versatile than BFD Lite.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Get Addictive Drums at Guitar Center. It's on special this month for $99. Sounds better and way more versatile than BFD Lite.
That's not what the Guitar Center site says. It's still listed at $199.

I was thinking about a program called 'Steven Slate Drums Signature Drum Kits EX Virtual Instrument' that Guitar Center has for $80. Don't know if it's truly good, since there are not many reviews up, but that is near my eventual direct price range. Does anyone know anything about this virtual instrument?

If the Addictive Drums does happen to be on sale and I just looked it up wrong, I'll see what I can do to get it this month. It won't be easy, since I am veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery tight on money right now, but I'll see what I can do. Can you please give me a link to where you saw it was on sale? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:20 PM

This Steven Slate Drums EX virtual instrument is looking pretty sweet, and Guitar Center sells it for $80. I listened to some drum samples that they have on the main site for Steven Slate Drums and it sound fantastic. I'm probably gonna buy it from guitar center later on.