Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 05-21-2012, 02:18 PM

Default Need Opinions On Upgrading to Artist Mix

I have a 002 and know the support will end soon. I also have a Spirit Studio 24 x 8 x 4 board. I used this board back in the day for my Blackface Adats. I also have a Octopre with the Adat option for more mic inputs for PT. I was thinking of a Artist Mix as my controller and getting a Presonus Saffire Pro 40 for more mic channels. With it's Adat option and two cue sends, I'll be able to use my Octopre with the Saffire Pro and have 16 mic inputs through firewire and have two separate cue mixes. With the Artist Mix I'll have a similar controller to my 002. I really don't use the Spirit board since I went with the 002 and Pro Tools. By selling both the 002 and the Spirit board I'll be close to covering the cost of the Artist Mix and Saffire. Opinions? Thanks......
Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Need Opinions On Upgrading to Artist Mix

i recently sold my 003 to buy an artist control and am very happy with the purchase...
Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 AM

great unit and works perfect with eucon in pt 10. had the 003 and the workflow is better with mix. take a look at used euphonix mix version. its the same as the avid one. only the control unit is different.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keniko View Post
With the Artist Mix I'll have a similar controller to my 002...
I see from your setup that you work very different from me, still I would not replace my Digi 002 with Artist Mix. I still use my Digi 002 on the far left in my setup and it's very much more involved in my workflow as long as I'm in the PT domain. Way your options one more time.

The strong side of the Artist Line is when you work like I do right now - 2 hours in Final Cut Pro X, then 2 hours Pro Tools, then you have to check something out that a student have sent you in Logic...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 06-10-2012, 10:40 PM

i've got an AVID HDNative rig coming in...

i'm placing an order for the new AVID ARTIST MIX 8 fader tomorrow!!
i've asked around and they really are a very solid unit now!
the faders are very high end! and expensive to replace.. which is why
i'm purchasing locally... that & i'm getting a very good price.. i cant pass it up..

the new protocol changed the game completely... no longer tied
to hui mapping ala mackie MCU... we're not running midi based
infrastructure with Pro Tools... it needs its own console mapping..
there are several videos on youtube... i'm sold!! will post up my thoughts
on the unit once it arrives.. should be about a week...

Old 06-14-2012, 11:51 AM

update*... sorry guys, deal fell through, local shop blows...
i'll have to wait a month till I actually need the mixer in
order to purchase.. just as well... my CC isn't very happy
with me at the moment..

Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 AM

I hope i'm not interrupting but I have a similar inquiry, I purchased Pro tools 9 but before I purchased it, I inquired as to it's compatibility with the M-Audio, Project Mix I/O control surface. (The Sweetwater Music Sales rep. and The Avid Compatibility Grid both confirmed that it was). After several on line sessions with the Sweetwater Support people who tried several options including driver downloads and PT's 9 upgrades, There was no solution forthcomming as to why the above mentioned control surface won't work with PT's 9.0 or (.02,or.03). I'm back to using the Audiophile 2496 which as you know is a 2 in 2 out I/O and requires mixing at a snails pace via the automated mixing process which can be quite laborious. Can any one offer a comment as to why I'm left without a solution? I am also considering the purchase of the Artist mix, 8 fader model but before I throw more money at the problem I want to be sure that I haven't overlooked something. Thanks

Last edited by Terry Wetzel; 06-18-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Added text