Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 10-06-2007, 03:38 AM

Default New redesigned C24

Just saw this and thought I'd pass it along for those of you who haven't stumbled across it yet. I've been out of pocket for a bit, so I may be the only one just now seeing it.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...n=news_details

Doesn't look like there is much if anything in the way of new and/or added functionality; more like a cosmetic upgrade to align it with the new 003 look and feel. I find myself looking at my Control 24 and seriously debating if the new version is really better. Sure, there's that rising-back design on the old one that blocks control room windows of studios around the world. But there's something about the old one that marked a substantial step towards a more professional studio that may now be missing in the new one, if for no other reason the reduction in physical mass. One of the things the old one gives you is a thing that has that honest-to-god console look about it. I'm not sure I can say the same thing about the new one, with it's flattened, rounded-corner look. Not to mention the new 003 knobs, which some folks strongly believe originate from the Fisher-Price company. Not saying I find myself in that camp; I can take or leave 'em.

I know that what it actually does is the important thing, and the music's the thing, etc. But I also know that customer wow factor (however misguided sometimes) can put clients in the studio and food on the table. And I know from the reactions of potential customers to my old version that the wow factor - cost ratio for the old version is pretty darn good. So I find myself unsure that this new "sleeker" C24 is in my upgrade path, at least for now.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: New redesigned C24

My thoughts too, not clear what the "buy me now" features for existing Control 24 users except there is an upgrade path announced....

"And now you can exchange your Control|24 control surface up to a new C|24 and save $4,000 off the list price. Or exchange any third-party control surface or analog/digital mixer (with an original value over $2,500) up to a new C|24 and save $3,000 off the list price."

The list price is $9,995 so $5,995 with discount, interesting to see what it will be in the UK but should be £4,995 or £2,995 with discount if Digi use current exchange rate. I maybe interested at this price.

Would want to check it out, would expect the "faults" with the Control 24 to be much improved, ie Monitor noise/clarity, pre-amp headroom, power supply.

Questions for me it does it bring in some of the Icon features?

rgds
Scotsman
Old 10-06-2007, 05:12 AM

Just looked through the UK site and see that the trade-in is £2,400 (40% discount) which looks good at first then you realise that means the list price is £6,000 !!

So $9995 = £6000, $1.66 = £1 don't know where Digi gets their exchange rates unless that is with UK Vat which means a list of £5100 which means $1.95 = £1.

Sounds like the UK Apple iPhone story if it is the first price, where a UK premium is added just because it is the rip-off UK!!

Good to get the story clear from Digi UK, please comment.....

rgds
Scotsman
Old 10-06-2007, 08:39 AM

Can you spell "Mackie DB8" eeewwh

I think I'll stick with my old Control24 at least it looks cool and anyway the only thing that needed to be done to it was move the scribble strips to just above the faders. This having to scan up the channel strip to see what I'm looking at is awkward and now the scribble strips are flat by the looks of things???

How about implementing the unused buttons DIgi?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:54 AM

I agree with most of your observations. My only questions are regarding the mic pre. If it is a significant step forward it might be worth a look. Also the meter bridge finally being low enough for my near fields to be in the right spot would be nice!

Erik
Old 10-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Does anyone know if the monitor section has been updated? Also, is the monitor output pot still "stepped" or has it been changed?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 PM

If you have the current C24 now you can advertise you use a "vintage" C24.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:55 PM

It look's like an oversized M-Audio Project mix or 003.I definitly think the older version look's so much better.I never cared for the Icon's look's either though so what do I know.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 PM

Please excuse me, as I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that a lot of Control 24 users have commented that the built-in preamps and submixer are not anything to be crazy about.

I always thought and expected that the next control surface, would bridge that gap between the top ones and Command|8, both in the price and feature departments.

This seems to be just a re-vamp of Control 24. Featurewise, I don't see the appeal yet.

With 9K or 10K in my pocket, I'd probably go for some top level mic preamps, even if I don't get 16 channels of preamplification, and then get any other control surface in the 2k to 3k range. There might be still some $ left for a monitor/talkback controlling device. About a submixer, well, I've been getting rid of a bunch of hardware synths and modules, since virtual instruments are offering so much sonic and operability power these days. And if you have some vintage or modern hardware synths worth of keeping around, they will probably be in that price league that you'd prefer to spend on a better device to submix them.

I understand that there are different levels and ways of working that could make many users to go for the built-in preamps/submixer and make the best out of them, but still, I think that a C|24 with no preamps/submixer and a lower price tag would make more of an attractive addition to Digi's product line.

Rodolfo F.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:13 AM

LOL, mgphoto! I like that. "Of course, we have the vintage C24, back when the sound had much more punch and airiness"...

Mixaudio, good point about the pre's and submixer. I struggle to find a use for either. Especially the submix, which seems to be there only to fill out the panel real estate because they couldn't afford to put all 24 pre's in there. I can't seem to find an instance where I want to put multiple line signals together and then do something with that signal. Maybe later.

There's a few things like that which we tend to ignore and use the C24 anyway, because the other functions were still worth the asking price. If you strip away some of the low/no-usage buttons and knobs, it's still a great little controller. I find myself eliminating mouse clicks all the time as I gravitate to some of the function buttons. But it seems to me it would have been better to drop the useless stuff and drop the price instead of raising it. I guess that would be acknowledging the old design never really was quite right, something they are probably not keen to do.

My guess is the cosmetic change was a strategic decision for a couple of reasons. It brings the look closer to the rest of the product line. And if you only change the look, the redesign costs are minimal as you don't have the expense of changing software drivers and program interfaces. Just a guess as they may actually have made some changes, which would in some ways justify the increase in price. but if it's just cosmetic, the price increase is a mistake in my book.