Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 11-26-2007, 09:20 AM

Default convert Pro Tools 6.1 TDM 24MIX from MAC to Windows

I am currently running Pro Tools 6.1 on my 24 MIX (one farm card) system on an older MAC G4 with 433mhz.

I have a newer Windows XP Professional Machine with 3Ghz that I'm considering converting to my studio computer.

If I have been saving all of my MAC Pro Tools sessions with .wav files, can I simply migrate the PCI cards from the MAC to the Windows machine and the sessions will still work?

Or is there more to it? Are there any features that won't work on the PC that worked on the MAC?

Thanks much!!!
Russ - [email protected] / 586-530-4752
Old 11-26-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: convert Pro Tools 6.1 TDM 24MIX from MAC to Windows

Pro Tools on Mac and on PC can use either AIFF or WAV files. It's not completely necessary to use WAV to be "Windows Compatible", although I recommend WAV files anyway...

As for "will it work", it depends on what you do with Pro Tools. It's a large system, used in many ways, with very many "peripheral" parts, such as plug-ins. Mac plug-ins will not run on a Windows machine, you'd have to aquire PC versions of the same plug-ins. Your session files will open and work in Windows, and you'll be able to read your audio files.

You'll also need to aquire a Windows version of the Pro Tools software itself. As for the hardware, it's compatible with both Mac and PC.

As for features that exist in only Mac or PC, there were some such things along the way, not many though, and each version is different in that regard. Overall, most parts of Pro Tools function equally well on Mac and on PC both. But without knowing more detail about what kind of work you do, what sort of external equipment you connect to, which plug-ins you use, etc., it's not possible to be more certain than this.