Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2010, 05:29 PM

Default New 27" LED Monitor Causes PT Slowness?

Ok, so this can't make any sense, but it's happening. Installed the new monitor today, and whenever I go to use Beat Detective, it now takes 10 minutes to separate regions on an entire song across 10-12 audio tracks of drums. This used to take about 6 seconds max. I've verified that it does it on multiple sessions that I've worked on in the past week, which on my 20" Cinema Display, worked just fine.

What's going on here? Is the RAM being taxed more or something because of the 27" screen? I seem to recall someone else having issues when they upgraded their screen size but I can't find the thread anymore.

Makes absolutely ZERO sense.

Help a dude out and to not go crazy please...

Thanks!
Sig
Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 PM

Default Re: New 27" LED Monitor Causes PT Slowness?

My guess would be your video card isn't powerful enough to drive the 27" display at its native resolution and thus your speed problem. Those new displays require a pretty powerful video card. Although if you have a new Mac Pro with a high end video card this is not your issue.
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM

It's a brand new ATI Radeon HD 4870, bought it last Christmas in preparation for this 27", which took 9 months longer than expected to be released.

It's in a dual core Intel Xeon 2.66 Mac Pro 1,1, but I really can't see that being the problem...

Everything else is running as it should, and when I only try to edit 1 or 2 tracks with BD in PT, it is as fast as ever.

Very weird...
Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 PM

Ran Techtool, Diskwarrior, Xupport, and deleted all PT Prefs. Seems to have cured it!!

Very weird...I hope it doesn't come back...

Thanks,
Sig
Old 10-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Banned

It works Flawless for me. The only thing I can say is it is too bright. Got the Brightness turned way down. Pro Tools GUI looks so crisp on it. You gotta love it
Ed
Old 10-26-2010, 04:16 AM

Hey Siegried, how's it going? Yes, trashing Prefs is always the first place to start and usually the answer. There's no reason a monitor would do that, I've been using a 46" for the longest time with no issues. After moving to Atlanta I had to "donate" that TV to our great room sooooo I'm now thinking maybe a pair of 50" later Okay, maybe not but it sounds nice! LOL