Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Found something that might help some people with compatibility and update issues

I dont know if anyone is interested but like many of you I have been through the ringer with the PT and Mac compatibility issues. I bought the mac brand new and pro tools wasnt running an update for my new mac yet so I started by having to BUY ($150) an older OS and installing it. And of course since then updated to the new. And dont ask me why I did it ut since DIGI put out the newest 7.4.2 I felt the need to fix something that wasnt broken!! And we've all been there with the back and forths of finding the right combo just so we can record a damn song.

ANYWAY.............. I came across something of a shortcut the oter night and it worked perfectly. I had updated my MAC OS and pro tools didnt like it. Even with the 7.4.2. I had updated to 10.5.5. After a few hours of trying to figure it out and no way was I going to reinstall the OS from scratch and have to backup all my stuff again etc... So I thought I might try and fool pro tools into thinking the OS was correct. I found the file that dictates what version of the OS the mac thinks it is running. (when you click the apple and click "about this mac") it would say 10.5.5. So I found the file, after some permission changes I changed just 2 numbers...the "5" in 10.5."5" to a "1" to 10.5."1" Clicked on about this mac and it told me i was running 10.5.1. Started pro tools and it opended right up.

So I thought I might put that out there and if anyone is interested I will post what I did in detail. Its really simple. Just wanted to see if anyone cared or if I was way late on this or not. Let me know and Ill be glad to help

Christopher
Old 10-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Avid

Default Re: Found something that might help some people with compatibility and update issues

I would not recommend this as any kind of solid workaround - if you're having to go this far to run Pro Tools, there's something wrong with your system and doing a workaround like this is likely to mean more problems later on.