Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2015, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Marianna - FWIW, the 'new licensing' thread, which grew to much bigger than this one whilst essentially addressing the same issue (so much interest that these 'splinter threads' have formed!), addresses even more thoroughly.
M, and any other Avid people reading, you could start by sifting through these two threads ...
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=359466
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=360401

... which cover most of the main queries that people have about the new licensing and support plan scheme. Other threads were started by people who either hoped to get the subject more attention by doing so, or who hadn't the patience to go through the main thread (the first of those listed above).

Then, Avid created new DUC sections for PT12 and new licensing discussions, but left the two threads above, and others, languishing in the PT11 section, which was the only suitable section when they were created, instead of moving them to the appropriate new section of the forum.

Of course creating new DUC sections has left those original threads (including the two above) somewhat unattended, especially by people who have woken up to Avid's plans more recently.

Of course that is no excuse. The majority of queries raised in those threads remain unresponded to, and, if we are to believe what Marianna and Dav C assert, the posts will have been read by Avid.

DUC admins are also normally good at moving threads in the wrong section, but have chosen not to do so, for some reason, with threads that are current, and directly relevant to new DUC sections that have been created. Burying pertinent but uncomfortable threads, whether by design or happy chance, is yet more evidence of Avid's failure to take us seriously.

(Last post from me until something changes ... I'm not holding my breath)
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 02-17-2015, 01:46 AM

You have so far been very successful in keeping out of here :)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:30 AM

Thanks for sharing your views, Marianna. I appreciate you taking the time. If you're able to elaborate further, I still have a couple questions and concerns:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
4. If you don't want upgrades for the 2015 year... then you don't have to buy the support/upgrade plan.
Fair enough, but I think the concern people have here is that doing that erases any trace of "loyalty" discount going forward.

In the past, skipping a generation may have reduced my discount on future versions somewhat, but didn't erase it completely. With the new model, we either pay perpetually or lose entitlement to any kind of discount on future versions.

Quote:
Pricing on subscription starts at $25 per month....
I went that route with Adobe, and discovered that there's a little "gotcha" with that if one doesn't live in the United States: Currency fluctuation.

At the time I signed up, the Canadian dollar was about on par with the US dollar. Since then the Canuck buck has taken a nose dive, and I'm now paying 25% more for my subscription than I was in the beginning.

Under the previous model, *I* could choose when to pay for an upgrade (within certain reasonable limits, of course). I could pick a month when cash flow was good and/or the exchange rate was favourable.

Now, I either have to pay a rate that varies each month, or pay the lump some on a particular "renewal" date, whether or not that particular time happens to be good for me. If I don't, I face the prospect of paying three times as much later.

Quote:
5. With this model, the CET and Engineering teams can be more agile and develop, test and release features on a much faster basis.
First, I don't understand this. Why would annual renewals affect how Engineering does its job? Why can't it release updates and features faster under the old payment model? What does one have to do with the other?

Second, despite your MC examples, I'm sure you can understand why customers would be at least somewhat sceptical and perhaps even suspicious of such claims.

It has always been the job of vendors to develop a product that entices users to buy it based on it satisfying some need. What Avid is saying NOW is that we should pay in advance based on the promise that it will eventually deliver what we want. That's a pretty dramatic departure from the traditional market model. It reduces the incentive for Avid to meet customer expectations by shifting the focus from "buy this new product based on what it does for you" to "keep paying or face large financial penalties."

I tried the subscription thing with Adobe, and the result was that I'm now learning new tools that allow me to work without Adobe's products. I still prefer Adobe's products over what I'm using now, but they drove me away.

I would urge Avid to think long and hard about reconsidering perpetual payments. Loyalty and familiarity only go so far. My Adobe experience is proof that you CAN break the camel's back and lose it completely.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
We listened to a lot of customers on both the video and audio sides of the house. As a result of that feedback, this new model offers choice, flexibility, and access to feature updates as they become available.
Marianna
which makes this comment not really about choice, or flexibility.

it's avid choice not mine, my hand is forced.

it's avid's plan to make their cash flow more flexible........

Like I said about 15 pages ago.....the only thing they are guilty of is Capitalism.

That and maybe poor customer relations......
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:48 AM

just another voice from the 'silent majority'.

I'm not happy wit this licensing stuff AT ALL.

I bought a second hand PT M-Powered License to upgrade to 11 and get on this terrible 'upgrade path', while my current PT 10 iLok 1 stays in my machine, never to be connected to iLok servers again.

It's looking bleak if i'm honest. So happy I kept my PT 10 license or I'd be paying 200 dollars a year for absolutely nothing apart from the fear of having to pay 899 when something useful shows up, like being able to control plug ins from a midi controller. a GENERIC midi controller. AVID knows this, and it has me bent over a table. Not only did I buy into that 'fear' but i bought yet another pro tools license to upgrade just to keep myself able to work on PT 10 for the forseeable future, without paying 899 in a few years if/when. I'm actually ashamed of myself but I need to keep my options open.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 02-17-2015, 07:48 AM

If it helps Avid believe the discontentment in this thread is more widespread than they seem to think, I shall add my voice too.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstaar View Post
If it helps AVID believe the discontentment in this thread is more widespread than they seem to think, I shall add my voice too.
+1
Old 02-17-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
If it helps Avid believe the discontentment in this thread is more widespread than they seem to think, I shall add my voice too.
+1
Old 02-17-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
+ 1
Old 02-17-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
+1