Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-14-2002, 11:05 PM

Default meters/counter hesitation

In play and record my meters and my counter have started to hesitate every 2 secs or so simultaneously.They almost freeze then go, freeze, go etc etc as if there is a clock problem. The audio playback seems okay as if it recorded alright but I am reluctant to carry on tracking in case this leads to a worse problem and I lose it all. I called Tech support and paid the bucks but they recommended looking at my drives so I ran some utilities on them etc to no avail. I tried recording to my system drive same deal. I have tried all the usual stuff I know about. Trashed prefs,checked buffer sizes,DAE and LE memory allocation, removed all non needed extensions in Ext. manager, 256 colors, fonts, deselect smooth fonts etc etc etc energy saver off. Anyone have an idea. It will be much appreciated, this is holding me up big time.
Digi 001,B&W 400 G3, LE 5.1.1, 512 ram, IBM Deskstar 60 drives, dedicated audio drive..8 partitions, about 7 gig ea. There is no removable media connected like scanners or card readers. I recently installed a Macally powered USB hub and a PNC compact flash card reader and Kodak picture software but I have turned this all off in Ext Manager. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:08 PM

Default Re: meters/counter hesitation

how many tracks and plugs are you using when this happens. my meters tend to jump instead of flow smoothly when i'm almost maxed out...
Old 06-14-2002, 11:17 PM

None. Just starting a session so beginning with drums... 2 Mono tracks for Kk and Sn, 1 stereo track for kit/cmbals.Actually transferring some live drums recorded on a 16 track Fostex to the 001. No plug in's yet, nothing. Thanks for the fast reply.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:19 PM

i'm not too sure then... sorry
Old 06-16-2002, 12:15 AM

Hey Blues.

Funny, I noticed the same thing today. I normally dont see this kind of thing until I have a lot more going on, but today it was with the first few tracks as well. Actually it was more in Rec. mode. Playback was less noticeable. Good news is, I finished most of the session today w/o any problems. Dont have a clue though, sorry.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:13 AM

"B&W 400"

Thats the issue.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:24 AM

Bluesdude,
This certainly sounds like hard drive related issues to me. Keep a look out for little quirks when using non ptools stuff ie general system activities as this may be a sign of your drive settling in for a long sleep, I hope not as I have been through that.
I really cant help you here though I suggest a serious back up just in case.
Good Luck

Ajazzie

A true gentleman is one who can play bagpipes yet chooses not to.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:37 AM

I remember having the very same thing on my G4 400 when I first set it up with PTle. Originally, I did as the manual suggested and installed PTle with Mac base extension set. It was after I had installed PTle that I went and disabled unneeded printer extensions and a few others I didn't think were necessary. The solution was that I had disabled too many supposedly unnecessary extensions. Unfortunately, I can't remember which extension I had to enable to fix the problem. Basically, I went through the ambiguous ones and enabled them one at a time until the problem disappeared. It was a tedious process but it fixed the problem.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:01 AM

Hi,

Check your extension folder.
If STF Toolbox,STFInit,STF Phonebook Lib are enabled, desable them and restart and please let me (us) know what happens.

If you have not installed STF stuff, I have no idea what to do.

Regards
Old 06-16-2002, 10:49 PM

Thanks for all you folks' time in replying. Still have the problem . Installed and ran Conflict Catcher...no problems found.Re-formatted audio drive....same. I'm reluctant to believe both IBM drives , only 6 months old are simultaneously having the same error. I'd hate to think it's because it's a B&W 400, it worked great before. I got a 3 day project elsewhere so I 'spose it's back to Tech Support on Thurs but please , any more info keep it coming.Thank you.