Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Pro Tools Rewired to Reason (very frustrated!!!)

Hi Im new here, and I could really use some help from those of you who have experience with Reason rewired to Pro Tools

I bought Pro Tools recently and im getting the hang of it, but im experiencing a very annoying problem while in rewire mode.

Once I set my left and right markers either in protools or in reason (does not matter) if I proceed to move my playback marker in Reason both the left and right markers move from their positions and quickly group all on top of each other Left Right and Playback. Basically I cannot move my playback marker in Reason while maintaining my Left and Right markers in their assigned positions. Iv tried numerous things in Pro Tools, including deactivating the "Link Timeline and Edit Selection" feature, but still no luck.

is this something I just have to live with because of the way Pro Tools behaves?

I am on mac g5 Pro Tools M-powered 7
Old 05-08-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Rewired to Reason (very frustrated!!!)

speaker

If your using Reason routed through ReWire, Reason then becomes a Slave to Pro Tools.

Are you triggering Reason with Pro Tools MIDI, or are you creating a song in Reason, trying to get it into Pro Tools?

filosofem
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM

hey thanks for the response...

Basically I have all my synths and composition in reason and I am using Pro Tools to playback my vocals. I am still in the process of creating and refining my synth work and doing a lot of editing in reason, so I like to utilize the loop feature to play back a particular part im working on. Naturally within that loop I need to move my playback (position marker whatever the "P" stands for) to certain areas im working on and as soon as i do this my left and right markers group up with the playback marker and i loose my loop. I just wish there was a way to maintain the position of my left and right loop markers and still be able to move the playback marker freely. I hope I was able to explain my situation a little better. Any thoughts... do you experience this as well in a similar scenario as mentioned above?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:35 PM

speaker

My understanding of this is that you can't, within Pro Tools yes you can. Have you tried Importing your song from Reason and routing your Instrument tracks to playback the Reason devices you are using? Editing within Pro Tools.

filosofem
Old 05-09-2006, 06:14 AM

I had a feeling that it was not possible. Its just the way that protools works. Basically anytime you click on the time line the left and right loop markers move, so in reason while rewired, which you click on the time line it does exactly what it would do in Pro Tools.

I certainly would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think its gunna happen I appreciate your response, and yes it seems like I will just have to switch gears and do all of my editing in Pro Tools, and use reason as a glorified VST of sorts. Thanks man for the help!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:31 PM

speaker
Quote:
I had a feeling that it was not possible. Its just the way that protools works. Basically anytime you click on the time line the left and right loop markers move, so in reason while rewired, which you click on the time line it does exactly what it would do in Pro Tools.
Reason doesn't have a "Link Track and Edit Selection" command.

filosofem
Old 05-09-2006, 07:54 PM

choose the region you want to loop in protools and choose loop playback in operations, reason will follow it since it's rewired
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 PM

Hi Yoko

Yeah he want to be able to have the function of Link Track and Editing Selection in Reason, when he moves the playback cursor in Reason he loses his loop markers.

filosofem
Old 05-09-2006, 08:18 PM

why does he want the link and edit in reason when it's controled by protools?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:26 PM

Because he's composing in Reason. I suggested he import that composition into Pro Tools and route back to the devices he's using in Reason. This way he can move the playback cursor without losing his loop markers.