Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Default Help! Pro Tools won't start Pro Tools with TDM requires the TDM mixer plug-in in plug

Pro Tools 7.4 HD Mac G5 usually a rock solid system.

Pro Tools wouldn't start today, would get spinning ball of death.
Trashed preferences, permissions etc and then Pro Tools worked. Closed and tried again and got the ball again.

Had not changed anything on system etc. So now I started looking around to see what is conflicting. I looked in the Plugins folders and thought maybe some plugins we loaded in a week ago for a client with an ilok might be an issue. I moved a few plugins around.
I was confused about the plugins folder under Digidesign applications being an alias. I made a new plug-ins folder put the plugins into it then restarted. Probably shouldn't have as I realized the alias was referencing the Plugins folder under the digidesign library.
I then made a new alias and got things looking the way it was before I messed with things.

We have 2 systems and I made sure we have all the plugins that should be there by referencing the working system.

Sorry for going on and on but figure it is best to give all details.

I now get the prompt below when Pro Tools is starting.

Pro Tools with TDM requires the TDM mixer plug-in in the plug-ins folder.

The only thing I can think is the stereo mixer plugin which is in the plugins folder.

Any ideas of what happened and how to fix?

At a stand still.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Help! Pro Tools won't start Pro Tools with TDM requires the TDM mix plug-in in pl

is the Stereo Mixer plug-in in the active plug-ins folder?
do you need the Surround Mixer?

if both systems are identical copy the working rigs plugin folder and replace the non-working rig's folder (you may have to make sure that the permissions are correct after this)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Help! Pro Tools won't start Pro Tools with TDM requires the TDM mix plug-in in pl

yes the stereo mixer plugin is in the active plugins folder.
We don't use surround.
I did reset permissions after moving the Plugins.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:49 PM

Just noticed it was 1st trying to load Digitranslator which was actually in the digidesign folder but outside the plugins folder. It won't load as it is not on this Ilok.
I moved it in the plugins folder and now it doesnt try to load. Maybe pro tools is not seeing the plugins folder at all and the stereo mix plug is just one of the first it tries to load?

Update on this. the OMF.bundle/Digitranslator plugin on our other computer sits outside the plugins folder also so I am not sure of my senario above.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:20 PM

Mabey try swapping the stereo mixer to the stereo dithered mixer, and see if that works..? Stereo dithtered should be in the unused plugs folder. Uses more juice, so if the session is chockers tdm style, some plugs might not load though..

Anyway, just a thought...

Dave
Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 AM

I tried the stereo dithered and no go.
i did search the forums and found one post with an unanswered question relating to the same type of problem.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=236157

I did submit a case with the problem to avid customer support. I haven't used it before. No response so far.

I haven't had to call digi on the phone for years for help.

Might have to try that.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Avid

Quote:
Just noticed it was 1st trying to load Digitranslator which was actually in the digidesign folder but outside the plugins folder. It won't load as it is not on this Ilok.
I moved it in the plugins folder and now it doesnt try to load. Maybe pro tools is not seeing the plugins folder at all and the stereo mix plug is just one of the first it tries to load?
Digitranslator should NOT be in the plug-ins folder, but in the Pro Tools folder (as it was originally). It's not really a plug-in per se.

As for your problem - try trashing preferences, restart and test again, so that Pro Tools can re-cache all the plug-in data.

You might also try a clean uninstall/reinstall...
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Help! Pro Tools won't start Pro Tools with TDM requires the TDM mixer plug-in in

Thanks for any help Digi tech support. As posted I did realize the OMF.bundle does not go in the plugins folder.

I did trash all preferences. Maybe give me some specifics in case I am missing something and not trashing all.

Reloading the system is a last resort but I guess we will have to if needed.

We are at 7.4cs3

Will I need to load 7.0 then the updates after that?

Not sure is we have everything around. Purchased all upgrades online.

Thanks Todd
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Help! Pro Tools won't start Pro Tools with TDM requires the TDM mixer plug-in in

7.4 is a stand alone installer

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Ok found all installers and reinstalled system back to 7.4.cs3
I am not sure why I hate reinstalling, probably becuase it never seems to go smooth.
It went fairly smooth just had to deal with some plugins etc.
Still have a couple I might have to reinstall.

Works fine now.

Thanks for all the help