Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-10-2004, 08:44 AM

Default Drum Miking with 002 and PTLE

Hello, I currently have an M-box and I am considering upgrading to a 002 system. I am a drummer. I have a fairly large drum kit that I would like to mike up. PTLE will record up to 18 tracks simultaniously. The 002 system only has 4 mike inputs. What are my other options (if any) of recording 9 mikes for my drums at the same time while having individual control over each mike on PTLE. Is there a console or patchbay that will work with a 002 system?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Drum Miking with 002 and PTLE

The simplest thing to do is the get the 002Rack and a Presonus Digimax LT. Together, they'll provide 12 mic inputs, and you'll still have 4 more line inputs available, and two more on S/PDIF.

Old 11-10-2004, 10:47 PM

Quote:
The simplest thing to do is the get the 002Rack and a Presonus Digimax LT.
yep, that's exactly what i first bought in my opinion digimax lt colors the sound a little, but when recording a drum kit, it is a good thing (again, in my opinion). for more transparent sound (and built-in pre-converter dynamics control) you could buy the octopre by focusrite, which is by default an analog device but can be fitted with digital expansion later on. eight preamps should be enough for a drum kit, don't you think

i'd also recommend spending some for good mics. that's another story though, so i leave it out here. i just point out that the drum kit is a kit and should be treated as a whole, and not as a sum of all parts. if the kit sounds good with only overheads, then you can get a good overall sound, but if it sucks, or if overheads only capture cymbals, i would guess you're in a big trouble in mixing. in my opinion you cannot spend too much money for overhead mics, but then again, the most expensive mic is not necessarily the best mic for everything. experience comes from experimenting different mics, not from listening to me
Old 11-15-2004, 02:15 PM

I agree. Thanks for advice. I get a good sound with 2 overheads with a seperate bass drum and snare mic. I compensate (using an m-box) by recording the entire kit with overheads then go back and mix in a sampled kick/snare with the overhead tracks. I only mix in enough to bring more impact. It gets tricky with major tom/snare fills but I usually leave the fills alone with no sampled support. I'm actually doing most of my recording in LOGIC these day...my Mbox works great. The 002 works well also with Logic. I'm using PT for mainly editing the bounced tracks before I send it off to mastering.