Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2022, 04:30 AM

Default Custom maps recall

Quick question, I have made a custom map on the fader for a plug. Is there a way to have the map auto spill every time I select that plug? For some reason, I can only get the map to appear but targeting the track, and hitting the custom button and going back into the “setup” mode.. have scanned the pdf but don’t have time to rtfm. Any help would rok.

Thx!
Old 04-29-2022, 04:59 AM
Avid

Default Re: Custom maps recall

Greetings,

You can setup a dedicated, On Attention Expand Fader Zone with S6 - and then click from Pro Tools to attention any various functions - sends, pan, plug-ins to have them populate into that zone.

Under Settings > User > Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area > make sure that Plug-In, Pan Controls and Sends are at least ticked. I would also recommend ticking the Show EQ and DYN plug-ins as inserts... since then you have more control over how the map works with more complex (multiband) Dynamic or EQ plug-ins.

Lastly, just below that -> Display Knobs From Most Recently Clicked DAW Area > you should set to Expand Fader Module.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-29-2022, 06:43 AM

Thanks Jeff! I will work those settings in.

I am on an S4 currently and did see in a video the EXP button should recall these maps, I can get it to recall the knob maps, but not fader maps..?

Appreciate the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

You can setup a dedicated, On Attention Expand Fader Zone with S6 - and then click from Pro Tools to attention any various functions - sends, pan, plug-ins to have them populate into that zone.

Under Settings > User > Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area > make sure that Plug-In, Pan Controls and Sends are at least ticked. I would also recommend ticking the Show EQ and DYN plug-ins as inserts... since then you have more control over how the map works with more complex (multiband) Dynamic or EQ plug-ins.

Lastly, just below that -> Display Knobs From Most Recently Clicked DAW Area > you should set to Expand Fader Module.

best,

Jeff
Old 04-29-2022, 06:50 AM
Avid

S4 can leverage custom expand faders - but only in a local manner - meaning in the same bucket via Expand or Auto-Expand. S6 systems can use Expand Faders both locally and by defining a dedicated On Attention Expand Fader zone.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-17-2022, 02:01 PM

Hey Jeff!

So now that my mix has wrapped up, I had a bit more time to explore before the next one. I enabled the setting you suggested and still can't get it to do what I am thinking it should - and can't seem to find it in the manual.

I have selected an insert - have made the custom fader map for the plugin. Hit done. Now in my ICON brain... every time I select that insert/plugin from the surface, the expand (custom) faders should pop up on the fader pack. With auto expand on, it auto expands but only to the knobs of the 1st CSM. The only way I can seem to get back to the fader map, is to select the insert, hit custom, then hit the attention button on the fader back - and it opens. Even tho the custom faders are already assigned, I feel as tho this is a programming mode, and there must be a faster way to access them when mixing.

How to I "open" them once programmed? The EXP button also just spills to the knobs, in the default way, not the "custom" way... Have tried many key combos - what am I missing here? Any help would rok!

Many Thanks!
Old 05-17-2022, 05:17 PM
Avid

Howdy,

So you specifically made a Fader Map for the plug-in yes? This would be by Attentioning the strip containing the Insert/Plug-in, Hitting Custom on the MTM, Touching the Fader Module just adjacent to the center section, mapping, then done.

Also - are you attempting to bring up the Fader Map locally (within the same bucket) or by declaring and enabling an On Attention Expand Fader Zone?

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-18-2022, 04:13 AM

Hey Jeff!

Yeah sure did. To be specific it’s a reverb, just mapped time, size, and two EQ gains to the first four faders of the local CSM.

I am just trying to bring it up locally again.. I can’t seem to get it to expand to the faders, unless I go through the programming steps listed before. Every time I select the insert on the strip (by pressing in the knob on focus ins mode) it auto expands the full insert to the knobs, and not the custom map..

Just thinking now do I have to attention the track and select the insert from the MTM?

Appreciate the help.
Mh
Old 05-18-2022, 09:53 AM
Avid

I'm happy to take a look if you want via Zoom. Let me know.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-18-2022, 11:53 AM

Thanks Jeff, that's really appreciated. I will shoot you a msg.

Thx!
mh