Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 AM

Default Interface package confusion

Hi all. I am relatively new to the world of Avid and im getting ready to drop some money on an interface. Im looking at these 2 interfaces
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...3-rack-factory
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...86223000000000
I know the interface it self is the same but what is the difference in software packages?
Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Interface package confusion

One has Pro Tools 8, one has Pro Tools 9.

You can find a lot about Pro Tools 9 already posted here and on Avid's web site.

Darryl
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM

You also don't want to buy those anywhere near that price. Since they've been discontinued, most places are clearance pricing them for hundreds of dollars less.

Check them out at Altomusic.com.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM

Allow me to once again point out that while there have been some rumors on various sites and quite a few quotes from "a guy who knew a guy who walked by Guitar Center", the 003's are still listed on Avid's web pages, and there has been no official announcement from Avid that they are being discontinued!

If you buy a 003 because it meets your needs today, and Avid discontinues it tomorrow, it will still do exactly the same things tomorrow that it will do today.

Now that doesn't mean that there aren't some better prices out there than the ones you posted, I've seen some that were better, but as far as the 003 being discontinued, it ain't so 'til Avid says it's so...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Funny you mention the price. A couple days ago the one with ProTools 9 was going for $1095 I went back to buy it yesterday and it was $1798....
Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Funny you mention the price. A couple days ago the one with ProTools 9 was going for $1095 I went back to buy it yesterday and it was $1798....
That is seriously messed up.

My local shop is selling the basic 003R for $599 new right now, and the 003R+ Factory for $999. (both with just PT8)

Avoid that place for sure!

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM

I am currently in the process of returning my 003R+ and it a nutshell, it's distinctly average at best, wish i'd stuck with my 002R.

IMHO For this money i'd strongly recommend going down the Pro Tools 9 and non Avid hardware route. There are a myriad of hardware interfaces out there which will give you far superior sound quality and you would probably still have change. If the 003 is only option nowadays i'll gladly live without low latency monitoring.

Just my two pence.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
I am currently in the process of returning my 003R+ and it a nutshell, it's distinctly average at best, wish i'd stuck with my 002R.

IMHO For this money i'd strongly recommend going down the Pro Tools 9 and non Avid hardware route. There are a myriad of hardware interfaces out there which will give you far superior sound quality and you would probably still have change. If the 003 is only option nowadays i'll gladly live without low latency monitoring.

Just my two pence.
Werd.

For the money... my Focusrite LS56 is bommmmmb!

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 PM

I would give a serious look at the Saffire 56 as well. On a smaller budget, a used 003rack(non + version) is my recommendation. Avid hardware just does a smoother job of integrating(especially for those new to Pro Tools0. You can buy PT9 new for $599(I think), but if you can squeeze a bit more and buy PT9 HD, you will end up with all the functionality of PT9(non-HD) with the CPTK2(a $2000 upgrade). As said, the 003 is sort of a "pedestrian" sounding unit, which is why I recommend the non+ version. Its less money, it has 4 line level inputs9handy for a few external preamps), and still has the lightpipe and SPDIF inputs for external preamps(priced as low as $200, all the way up to $3K).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Thanks for all the info! I would really like to have 8 onboard premaps. You guys are really digging the saffire 56 huh?