Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2000, 08:46 AM

Default Timeline Microlynx with PT

Is anybody out there using a Microlynx synchronizer and master controller with ProTools?

Apparently you can slave PT and 2" tape to it and even vari-speed PT with it on the fly.

I'd be interested to know how well the sync works, how handy is the master controller, and how the ACG2 clock generator sounds (jitter specs <20ppm) compared to Aardsync and Apogee clocks when used as the master clock for PT.

Anybody out there using this unit?

[This message has been edited by Jonny Atack (edited January 06, 2000).]
Old 01-08-2000, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Timeline Microlynx with PT

Microlynx works _very_ well as a sync/master controller for PTools.
I have used in a few different setups with great results.
The first two involved house black, and since that is not the most common setup I won't go into that here.
The other way I've had great success without house black, is to feed 2" code to lynx transport A, set the TC generator on board pref's to VSO master, and either slave ProTools via word clock between lynx and PTInterface (vsd etc), or use the midi out port on microlynx to feed mtc directly to the mac.
I have only great things to say about the sync using Microlynx, but can not offer any comparison to Aardsync or Apogee, as I haven't used either.
Old 01-08-2000, 06:58 PM

Thanks, nichols.

In the non-black setup where you had PT slaved to the Microlynx, were you successfully slaving the 2" to the Microlynx?

Was everything locking up quickly?

Thanks again for your input.

Old 01-08-2000, 07:47 PM

We've been using the microlynx with Pro Tools for over 5 years. It works great. The ACG2 card has helped many times when the client did something dumb. Vari speed the clock, etc. We lock 1/4" machines - serial and Dat machines and midi all thru the microlynx. If only the keyboard on the microlynx didn't need a new pad every year..
Old 01-11-2000, 02:47 PM

Thanks, agus. What's the precise problem with the keyboard pad? How hard is it to get new ones -- I'm in Paris and Timeline gear is not well distributed here, I'd have to order from the US.
Old 01-11-2000, 07:43 PM

We use the microlynx so much that every year the response of the keyboard gets very sluggish.. we have to press down very hard on the transport buttons to get any results. The contacts on the rubber pad wear down too easily. Replacing the pad solves the problem. I'm in need of a new one so I'll let you know where I find it.
Old 01-12-2000, 11:47 AM

i've used ML's at a number of facilities, and thet all have keyboard problems, which doesn't suprise me the way i see people smash the **** out of the buttons sometimes, but they still should last far longer than they do. However, i send ours here at work out once every 1 1/2 years it seems not for button response problems, but because the damn thing just plain dies (the remote, that is), and sure, they replace the keyboard buttons as a common practise as well...in my case mainly because the play/stop/etc logos on the keys rub off so fast. in general it seems it'll die once under warranty, then the rest you'll pay for. But getting it fixed certainly must be cheaper than getting replacements all the time?!?! Make sure Timeline informs you who the authorized repair people are in your area, assuming there are any in your area...i'm in LA, and i still have to send the unit 40 mi. away...
Old 01-13-2000, 04:50 AM

Thanks agus and rader. I'm ordering one from LA too...Westlake Audio. It's twice cheaper than here in France where the distributor just sits on his *** and doesn't even stock the product and waits for some fool to pay his double price before ordering it himself from the US.

If you have a good address for parts and service, please pass it on. Thanks again.