Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-1999, 10:35 AM

Default Masterlist CD Conflict w/DSI 3.4.2???

Ever since I've installed Pro Tools 4.3.1 on my system, Masterlist CD has been crashing consistently durring burns. The new Pro Tools CD-ROM has installed DSI version 3.4.2 which is the only thing that would affect Masterlist CD. I have tested this by disabling the DSI extension and just running Masterlist CD off of the Apple Sound Hardware. So far so good. No crashes since doing this. Has anyone else experienced problems?
Old 05-21-1999, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Masterlist CD Conflict w/DSI 3.4.2???

Blair-

I've been using Masterlist CD since installing PT 4.3.1 with no problems on a G3/233 w PT Mix+.
Old 05-22-1999, 12:35 AM

Blair-

Can you get more specific as to how it crashes?

thanks,

-Bryan
Old 05-24-1999, 11:00 PM

Update! After further test burns, I'm still crashing. Masterlist freezez, ejects the disc and has the fingers tapping. The numbers on the screenhe are not moving. The only way to get out is to force quit. Unfortunately, when I force quit the computer freezes and I have to reboot. Any ideas?
Old 05-25-1999, 10:22 AM

Well usually when it spits a disk out it means the burner doesn't like your media for whatever reason... but the crashing is pointing to something else.

Since this only started happening since upgrading to 4.3.1 I'd like to know more about your configuration so we can try and set it up here for testing. Here's what we need:

CPU type/speed.
SCSI config, what drives where.
burner make/model/firmware version
macos version

By any chance have you tried it with the mac os base extension set + digisystemINIT?

If not, please give that a try. If it doesn't work let me know the above info and in the meantime go back to DSI 3.4.1 or leave MLCD set to sound manager playback while we figure this out.

-bryan
Old 06-09-1999, 11:20 AM

I'm still experiencing these same problems. Here's some detailed information:

MASTERLIST VERSION: 2.1
CPU: G3 333
HARDWARE: Mix Core, 4 Vintage Farms, Magma 7 Slot Expansion
DRIVES: (4) IBM DDRS-3910W 9 Gig drives running off of the Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Accelerator. (6) Micropolis 3243 AV 4 Gig drives running off the Mac SCSI bus.
RAM: 256 MB
DISK CACHE: 512K
CD RECORDER: Sony CD-R CDU920S (2.0c firmware) running off the Mac SCSI bus.

To summarize the problem again:

Durring burns my system crashes. The computer freezes, the countdown window on Masterlist freezes, no errors are given and the disc is ejected. However this is a random thing? It will successfully burn sometimes and crashes other times. In test mode it will successfully complete a run sometimes and other times it will crash.

This usually happens with sessions that use regions rather then whole sound files. (By the way, I don't consider the solution to be to bounce the regions to seperate sound files. I need to use time efficiently)

This only happens on my Micropolis Hard Drives running off the Mac SCSI bus. (Again, I don't consider the solution to be to use my IBM drives. I need all my drives for space and efficient use of time)

Summary of Solutions attempted:

I've tried all my different Micropolis Hard Drives at different SCSI ID numbers.

I've tried different SCSI cables

I've tried different types of media

I've disabled all extensions minus the digisystem INIT

I've disabled all extensions including the digisystem INIT

I've changed the disk cache in the memory control pannel from 96K to 5000+K and everywhere in between.

I've tried it with DSI/DAE versions 3.4.1 and 3.4.2, and a couple of older DSI versions.

None of these solutions are making a difference.

Any help on your part would be greatly apreciated.

P.S. By the way, I've been using Masterlist CD since version 1.0 and have never experienced this problem until version 2.1

[This message has been edited by blairl (edited 06-09-99).]
Old 06-14-1999, 07:02 PM

I haven't tried quite as many fixes as blairl, but I've had the same problem: exact same symptoms, exactly as intermittent. I've gone back to using MLCD v.1.3, which supposedly doesn't work w/ OS 8 and it's been
fine. I'm using a 233 G3 w/ OS 8.1, a Seagate Barracuda 9 gig (on the approved list) and a Ricoh 1420-C CD-R burner.
Old 06-29-1999, 11:03 AM

UPDATE!!! I finally found a solution to my problems. I went out and bought Adaptec JAM. I've been using it for about a week now and it functions flawlessly.

I've been using MLCD since it first came out and am quite used to its interface. I really enjoy MLCD but it won't work. I don't know what the problem is. I've talked to several tech support engineers and we can't seem to figure it out. It seems that I read in another post of someone having the same problem I am having. One of the similarities between our problems was that the other user was also using a Sony CD Recorder. Is it possible that with the upgrades, somehow the compatibility with Sony writers has been messed up?

Anyway, I'm using Jam and it has solved my problems.
Old 07-01-1999, 04:40 PM

I've had almost identical problems and I've been using a Ricoh 1420-C. It just died, which may or may not mean something. I'm getting a Yamaha CD-RW, so we shall see. I've been using MLCD 1.3 since 2.1 won't work reliably, but I'm going to try 2.1 again before I run out and buy Jam.
Old 07-06-1999, 11:00 AM

I also have a ricoh 1420C and it's working beautifully with MLCD 2.1.

I'll address gantt's problem in his other post.

-bryan