Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Default Feature Request - Markers

The memory locations/markers in ProTools haven't been developed in many years and yet they are so incredibly useful.
Please AVID, please could we request some very basic database functions be added to Markers?

1. import and export markers
as tab seperated text or CSV

2. add a category field for each marker
with show/hide by category option in the marker list
with show/hide marker by category option in the timeline

Please?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Feature Request - Markers

And I'd love multiple marker sets as well. So often I want a 'spotting' set, and a 'conform' set, and various ones, that could be turned on and off independently.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:02 PM

Along the same lines, I'd love to see the marker "track" get playlists that have the ability to follow the other tracks. This would make it possible to mark sections for each consecutive take.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:03 AM

I have been asking multiple marker tracks for years for the same reasons. When I am making notes for foley, I would like to do them to foley markers -track, which I can hide when I don't need it. And same goes to ADR, sound fx etc...

Please?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
I have been asking multiple marker tracks for years for the same reasons. When I am making notes for foley, I would like to do them to foley markers -track, which I can hide when I don't need it. And same goes to ADR, sound fx etc...

Please?
You might be doing this as a workaround already but you can simply make empty region groups on audio tracks and label them.

They can be exported as text, imported to other sessions etc. etc.

But generally I agree. PT´s logistical features for post are really getting dusty and dated (if available at all) compared to what the competitors are coming up with.

I gues it´s because AVID´s strategy for years has been to lean back and rely on third-party mfg´s to come up with a solution. I guess a full ADR/Spotting feature set in PT doesn´t sell more icons
Old 09-08-2010, 02:14 AM

renumber markers and "jump to next/prev marker" short cuts
Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 AM

I would love to also see the ability to group the markers to certain tracks. I do a lot of book on cd editing. Markers are pretty much useless, because once you start editing in shuffle mode, the markers are off set from the audio. It would be great if you could have the markers follow your edits you make in shuffle mode.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I would love to also see the ability to group the markers to certain tracks.
Yes. A "Link markers to selected track" or "Include markers in edit group" would've been nice.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Recently I came across a situation where having multiple sets of markers would have made this " session from hell " a lot easier to deal with, as it came from another studio using poor PT workflow.

Anyway, it got me thinking that it seems it would be so easy to include a few more marker sets in PT. They would be just like groups -- You hit Enter on the fly, and when the window comes up, you can choose which Marker Set 1, 2, 3, 4, ... you want said marker to belong to. Each set would have its own color and timeline strip. You could choose which sets to show and hide, same as other views like show/hide Song Key.

This would be so helpful at the various stages of a project. You could have your tidy Verse/Hook markers in one set and then have a new set for just edits or comps, which can get very messy. You could also use a set for a to-do list, such as from Marker X to Marker Y the song needs gtr ODs, and things like that.

The ability to show and hide these sets would make things so much cleaner at various points in the production process. I HATE when Im working with someone who shouts outs " mark that drum fill!, mark that lyric! " and it clutters up my most important Set which is obvs the song arrangement.

How cool would it be to have your static song arrangement set nice and clean, but then also, in a different color (both the diamond and the vertical line) and its own timeline strip, have your fav parts of a take which you can easily see the in and out points for edits, then hiding that set once youre done? With optional color coding, its endless! You could listen to 5 takes of a song, and use, say, green colored marker lines for the good Verses, and red colored for the parts you dont like. Then you could visually see, much clearer, what your comp will be.... just an example.

Multiple Marker lists would have sooo many uses IMO, and I dont get why PT never had this feature. Do other DAW apps have it?

Thx
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 PM

Feature Requests: http://protools.ideascale.com/

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••