Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-12-2001, 03:27 PM

Default major studio problem!!! need help!!!!

i just rewired my studio and i have a mojor problem.. when i pull up a stereo mix either with pro tools or on a cd and run it through my board or even just with the outputs of pro tools to the speakers one speaker sounds like it has a high pass filter on it and the other sounds like it has a low pass filter on it. it sounds like one speaker is playing the full mono mix even though its panned hard right and the other is playing just the side of the mix that it should be playing. (does that make sense) im not sure what could have caused this but i have tried routing around each piece of gear and it still does it. i tried both pairs of speakers through all the different routes and no change....

anyone with any info on this will be a huge help..

i have never had this problem before and i know the mixes that im using to check the system on are done correct (tony sheperd mixed them)...

HELP!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2001, 07:16 PM

Default Re: major studio problem!!! need help!!!!

I'm not being funny but did you give tony a call? He's great with stuff like that. If your studio worked before you re wired it then start over and isolate the problem one piece at a time till you find it. The problem has too many varibles without more info.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:26 PM

i went through every possible routing solution and couldnt come up with anything. ive tried going aournd the mixing board, around the pro tools 888s, straight of the cd player to the board, around the patchbay, even the headphone mix is like that. i cant seem to narrow it down to anything. i am so lost!!! i dont know tony personaly the songs were mixed by him through a friend. is there anything you can think of that wouldnt be an obvious thing to check im sure i did all the obvious stuff... any ideas??? thanks
Old 12-12-2001, 08:28 PM

Make sure the speakers are plugged in correctly. You could have the polarity reversed or something. Other than that, you're on your own.

There's only 1 way to get to the bottom of these kinds of problems.

Like Ejsongs said you have to break it down and try to isolate the problem.

Good luck
Old 12-12-2001, 08:46 PM

i checked the speakers and they were wired right. i broke down the studio twice now and cant seem to find out where the problem is coming from.

thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply...
Old 12-12-2001, 09:07 PM

Okay - let's try and isolate the problem (a little) -- what kind of console do you have? And how do you have the speakers, CD, Pro Tools hooked up to it?
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-12-2001, 09:31 PM

i have a ghost 32, a pro tools 24 mix plus (2 888/24's), krk v8's, ns10's, the cd is a tascam. everything is running into patchbays but i have unhooked every piece and tried it without the patchbay so i dont think that the problem lies within the patchbay. i have went out of pro tools stright into the krks , i have went to the board to the ns10's, i have tried the cd to the board into both speakers, i thought it might be a problem in the speaker wiring but i tried the headphone mix and it still isnt right. i have rewired the studio with just these pieces now to see if i can narrow down the problem and i still cant seem to find out where it is coming from.

the ns10's run through a bryston and the krks are direct to the board via the ctrl room outs. i had the krks in the patchbay but tried connecting them straight to the board but it didnt help either.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:39 PM

So if you plug your headphones straight in the CD player it still sounds wrong??? ie. No console? If so unplug all cables out the back of the CD player and try listening with the headphones again -- if it's still wrong - then try another store bought CD.

If it sounds right - then unplug everything from the Ghost and start from scratch - hook up the CD player to inputs 1 & 2 (make sure they're line inputs and not mic inputs) - pan 1 left and 2 right assign them to the stereo buss, make sure there's no EQ or inserts on 1 or 2 (and the stereo buss) and check with headphones on the board.

If it now sounds right - hook up your speakers (one set at a time, testing between sets) and check that they sound okay.

After that's all done - and tested good - start hooking up Pro Tools and the patch bay.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:46 PM

sorry i should have stated that better.. i meant that i plugged into the board and it was still in the headphones. i tried going staright into the cd player with the headphones and its back to normal. that is the only source (straight into the cd player with headphones) that sounded normal. no other source in the studio puts out a normal signal.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:56 PM

Great - then follow the rest of my message and report back