Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2021, 08:57 PM

Default MTRX Studio With Apollo

Hey all,

I'm trying to get my head around a best practise for using my Apollo's with MTRX Studio.

I have an Apollo 8, and an Apollo x8P which I would love to use in conjunction with the MTRX Studio. But I'm not quite sure I'm doing it right?

At the minute I have everything connected via ADAT; 12 Pre's and 4 Line @ 16 ins via ADAT. Great, it seems to work fine however, I can't use any aux/fx in console this way. Plus, I feel like there's an I/O delay which is not incredibly noticeable but it's there.

Is there a way I can still utilise the Console/PT workflow with an HDX/MTRX rig, or any general advice on delay comping the MTRX Studio would hugely appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2021, 10:09 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio With Apollo

On both the Apollo 8 and the X8P you'll have 8 channels of flex routing. I guess you already set it up this way. If you make the Apollo 8 the monitor unit, you can use the adat out also for the cue sends. What I would do to take fully advantage of all 8 unison mic pre's of the x8P , flex route those to adat 1-8 for the 8 mic channels, then make the Apollo 8 monitor unit, send AUX 1 to cue 1-2 , and mirror those to adat 1-2 , aux 2 to cue 3-4, mirrored to adat out 3-4.

Then you have 4 mono inputs left to flex route on the Apollo 8.

If you also want to use the console aux/fx slots fed from channels coming in on the matrix, you could use the MTRX Studio adat out to an adat in on 1 of the 2 Apollo's , send for instance adat 1-2 in on the Apollo to aux 1 in console, and adat 3-4 in to aux 2.

If you don't route your monitor out on the Apollo to the MTRX you won't have a loopback problem even when the adat in's are unmuted (which they need to be if you use your axes in console pre-fade)

out of interest, when recording through an Apollo input, flex routed in console to an adat output, and monitoring off MTRX Studio, you say there is (more) noticeable latency than when monitoring that input off the Apollo itself? And that's with delay compensation in console settings turned off? According to the MTRX Studio manual digital interfaces have only 8 samples of delay, which is 166us (microseconds) at 48Khz, that shouldn't be noticeable, assuming you use HDX or low latency monitoring with HD native.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post
Hey all,

I'm trying to get my head around a best practise for using my Apollo's with MTRX Studio.

I have an Apollo 8, and an Apollo x8P which I would love to use in conjunction with the MTRX Studio. But I'm not quite sure I'm doing it right?

At the minute I have everything connected via ADAT; 12 Pre's and 4 Line @ 16 ins via ADAT. Great, it seems to work fine however, I can't use any aux/fx in console this way. Plus, I feel like there's an I/O delay which is not incredibly noticeable but it's there.

Is there a way I can still utilise the Console/PT workflow with an HDX/MTRX rig, or any general advice on delay comping the MTRX Studio would hugely appreciated. Thanks!