Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 12-10-2021, 02:55 PM

Default Re: More Carbon Sync Issues...Must Get Solved...

It's truly maddening. I have a ticket open as well. Got quick reach out from AVID, which I appreciate, but it's been kind of lumped with some other similar tickets and I don't think the session I sent will be examined.

They did have one suggestion that makes sense, but is impossible to work with - don't have any aux getting signal from anything that's not hybrid enabled when anything hybrid enabled is feeding it. Not possible. There are only 54 hybrid outs available...

For anyone else: is the recording visually off-time in the timeline? Mine are between 1200 and 1900 samples early. Every take. I'll throw a little bit more time at it after my next session tonight, but then I have all-day sessions tomorrow and I'm super stressed about it. Everything is out of time.

After tomorrow I will either have a workaround pinned down, or the Carbon is out. I can't afford throwing extra hours at it and the performers feeling like they play like **** because it's so out of time every playback.

My setup is pretty straight forward - main, plus a headphone mix system fed from auxes.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:03 PM

Yeah I would see things on the timeline, like at BAR 2, but on playback it would play milliseconds before bar two on a given track.

I sent all the files to Avid, engineering wrote back and said I was routing things wrong lol

My sessions all start from a template, and the session they though I was routing wrong worked fine the next day.

At the end, I was finding I had to keep both guitar (or vocal say, ) tracks in DSP mode or they'd be out of sync. So I was actually bouncing in place when they were playing back OK with the DSP buttons engaged. I just didn't have any more time to spend with it. Not for that money.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:56 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
It's truly maddening. I have a ticket open as well. Got quick reach out from AVID, which I appreciate, but it's been kind of lumped with some other similar tickets and I don't think the session I sent will be examined.

They did have one suggestion that makes sense, but is impossible to work with - don't have any aux getting signal from anything that's not hybrid enabled when anything hybrid enabled is feeding it. Not possible. There are only 54 hybrid outs available...

For anyone else: is the recording visually off-time in the timeline? Mine are between 1200 and 1900 samples early. Every take. I'll throw a little bit more time at it after my next session tonight, but then I have all-day sessions tomorrow and I'm super stressed about it. Everything is out of time.

After tomorrow I will either have a workaround pinned down, or the Carbon is out. I can't afford throwing extra hours at it and the performers feeling like they play like **** because it's so out of time every playback.

My setup is pretty straight forward - main, plus a headphone mix system fed from auxes.
Hi Matt,

We've reproduced this issue (which appears to be the same I as Tom's). It's a very high priority issue and we're investigating a fix. We'll provide an update ASAP. Thanks for your patience.
Berkeley, CA
Old 12-10-2021, 03:59 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
Yeah I would see things on the timeline, like at BAR 2, but on playback it would play milliseconds before bar two on a given track.

I sent all the files to Avid, engineering wrote back and said I was routing things wrong lol

My sessions all start from a template, and the session they though I was routing wrong worked fine the next day.

At the end, I was finding I had to keep both guitar (or vocal say, ) tracks in DSP mode or they'd be out of sync. So I was actually bouncing in place when they were playing back OK with the DSP buttons engaged. I just didn't have any more time to spend with it. Not for that money.
Hi Tom,
I'm very sorry to hear you no longer have your Carbon unit. Last time we chatted it sounded like the issue was no longer occurring. As I mentioned above, we're investigating a fix now that we have a solid reproducible case. Apologies we weren't able to fix this earlier for you.
Berkeley, CA
Old 12-14-2021, 09:02 AM
Avid

Quote:

Hi Matt,

We're currently investigating this issue and may have found a better workaround. Will you go to I/O Setup > Output and assign the Audition Path to either 'none' or to a hardware output other than MON L-R? I'm assuming MON L-R is your main monitor path here.

If that doesn't resolve it, will you also set the AFL/PFL path to 'none' if that's currently set to a hardware output?

Let me know if that helps. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 9.56.00 AM.jpg (33.4 KB, 0 views)
Berkeley, CA
Old 12-14-2021, 02:55 PM

Interesting, Kyle!

I'll test this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hi Matt,

We're currently investigating this issue and may have found a better workaround. Will you go to I/O Setup > Output and assign the Audition Path to either 'none' or to a hardware output other than MON L-R? I'm assuming MON L-R is your main monitor path here.

If that doesn't resolve it, will you also set the AFL/PFL path to 'none' if that's currently set to a hardware output?

Let me know if that helps. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:22 AM
Avid

Quote:
Interesting, Kyle!

I'll test this.
Thanks. After some additional testing on our end it appears the workaround requires setting both AFL/PFL and Audition Path to 'none'. Let me know if that works.
Berkeley, CA
Old 01-01-2022, 02:51 PM

I did have this issue for a while.

Disengaging the DSP mode on a track sent it out of sync.

Closing and reopening the Session was always enough to fix it. No need to reboot.

This seems to be solved for me with the latest updates.
Ferrofish 16 I/O

www.albertolombardi.com

facebook - instagram - youtube
Old 01-21-2022, 11:10 AM

On occasion, I would record a pass, play it back while still armed and in dsp mode, track plays out of time. Then moving the track in the edit window down a few tracks then back up to its former position then hitting play solved it. It only happens randomly and usually only once in a session. This is before setting audition path and afl/pfl to none which I just started doing.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Thanks. After some additional testing on our end it appears the workaround requires setting both AFL/PFL and Audition Path to 'none'. Let me know if that works.
Has this issue been solved yet or is it planned to be fixed in the next release?

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.