How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Default Xmon, listen mic and talkback

I have my S6 set up to control my xmon.
On my old D-Command, if auto-talkback was on, the listen mics was muted when playing/recording.

Any way to do this on the S6?
If the listen mic is on, it's always on, also with auto talkback.

Oh, and the volume on the listen mic is not avaliable from the surface, only from the Xmon app, it would be sooo cool to be able to control it from the surface.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Xmon, listen mic and talkback

Guess there is no way to do that...

Where is the best place to suggest it? Would be really really usefull to get the listen mics to mute while recording...
Old 06-01-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolin View Post
Guess there is no way to do that...

Where is the best place to suggest it? Would be really really usefull to get the listen mics to mute while recording...
Yeah, listen mic volume control is not very efficient. While I was recording some drums with my students we were constantly switching to the app for the listenmic volume. It sure can be added as an additional page in the Monitoring view.

I hope it gets implemented sometime soon.
Best,

Johnny.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:56 AM

X-Mon is a Digidesign developed product whereas EuCon was Euphonix. I know nothing about programming but I would imagine it's a pain in the butt to have to make these two "talk" to each other.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:20 AM

I know there are 3rd party plugins available which are relatively affordable, which auto mute while the transport is running. I use my own system in my templates where I have 3 tracks active, but hidden:

1. Talkback Sidechain. This is just a mono audio track, a small section of 1kHz tone from the Noise Generator plugin, which I have looped for about 10 minutes. This audio track is routed to a mono bus called TB SC.

2. Talkback Mic. This is a mono Aux track, the input of which is a talkback mic set-up in my room, output is the Cue (headphone) bus. On this track, I have a compressor set up with the side chain input set to the bus TB SC (the output of my side chain track above. The threshold is -60db and the ratio is infinity, fast attack and fast release.

3. Cue Master - this is my master headphone bus where I can change the overall headphone level for the talent.

So basically, whenever the transport is running, the Talkback Sidechain track feeds tone into the compressor side chain, which effectively mutes the talkback mic. When the transport is stopped, the talkback comes back on automatically. If you want to enable the talkback mic during playback, just mute the Talkback Sidechain track.

It's a little clunky but it works, and it's free.

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 06-02-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
X-Mon is a Digidesign developed product whereas EuCon was Euphonix. I know nothing about programming but I would imagine it's a pain in the butt to have to make these two "talk" to each other.
XMON is still using midi right? I wonder if all of the necessary controls are defined within Eucon? S6 talks Eucon. Xmon talks midi. Workstation translates. I wouldn't expect it to be challenging, technically.

Last edited by Postman; 06-02-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
But the S6 already works with the Xmon. When you buy a new S6, an Xmon is included in the package.

It's just the listenback that is implemented badly, the xmon eucon app has it, it's just not mapped to the S6 (most of the other Xmon functions are).
Old 06-03-2016, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
I know there are 3rd party plugins available which are relatively affordable, which auto mute while the transport is running. I use my own system in my templates where I have 3 tracks active, but hidden:

1. Talkback Sidechain. This is just a mono audio track, a small section of 1kHz tone from the Noise Generator plugin, which I have looped for about 10 minutes. This audio track is routed to a mono bus called TB SC.

2. Talkback Mic. This is a mono Aux track, the input of which is a talkback mic set-up in my room, output is the Cue (headphone) bus. On this track, I have a compressor set up with the side chain input set to the bus TB SC (the output of my side chain track above. The threshold is -60db and the ratio is infinity, fast attack and fast release.

3. Cue Master - this is my master headphone bus where I can change the overall headphone level for the talent.

So basically, whenever the transport is running, the Talkback Sidechain track feeds tone into the compressor side chain, which effectively mutes the talkback mic. When the transport is stopped, the talkback comes back on automatically. If you want to enable the talkback mic during playback, just mute the Talkback Sidechain track.

It's a little clunky but it works, and it's free.
Auto/Latched talkback works just fine with the S6/XMon combo :) It's the listenback that are not implemented.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Avid

Its on the list to do so hopefully soon.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Its on the list to do so hopefully soon.
That is so cool :)
I know most S6 users are post guys, but this will make us music guys happy :)