Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-17-2003, 02:46 AM

Default Record BIG voice

Is it recomended to try recording a BIG voice outside the vocal booth with maybe some distance mics...

She does musical theater and can really belt.

or would the vocal booth be jst as good with regular mic pulled down
Old 06-17-2003, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Record BIG voice

Try it The great thing about recording is, don't worry about rules....just do what sounds good. Try both ways, see what you like best. Heck, they might sound good blended together.
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com
Old 06-17-2003, 06:24 AM

I sort of agree with brad lyons. But you may only have a limited time with the singer. So I'd set it up so you get everything from the first take... just in case.

I'd recommend a studio with a nice, biggish room... high ceiling. It shouldn't be too cold.

In the middle of the room somewhere, build a little U-shaped moving pad room. You can throw the pads over the boom arm of three of those really big and heavy mic booms. You may want to build it on some carpet or a nice rug.

Have a nice high stool with a back in there, two or three bottles of room temp water, a well-lit music stand, and some pencils.

If you only have time for one shot... hang your favorite mic near the front of the U-shaped blanket room. Use that to get a close-in sound. Have the singer work it at a distance of one to two feet.

Then, back a couple more feet hang your favorite pair of mics to get a more distant (stereo) sound and a little of the big room.

Turn on the red light.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:38 PM

Good sugestions

I actually have three MaxxWalls from Auralex so they may come in handy here (for the U shaped room)
Old 06-20-2003, 06:49 PM

In a hurry, I always hang up 2 mics, the same kind if possible. One close the other an additional 6" and up a bit from the other. Gain and all (eq, comp.) the same and cut on 2 tracks. No matter what I always have a good take from my end on one of the two tracks. Temporary walls are ok but not to close unless you need better isolation.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:13 AM

"hang your favorite mic near the front of the U-shaped blanket room. Use that to get a close-in sound. Have the singer work it at a distance of one to two feet.

Then, back a couple more feet hang your favorite pair of mics to get a more distant (stereo) sound and a little of the big room."

Are you saying put stereo pair inside the U shaped room or above and outside it?