Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2017, 07:44 AM

Default Pro Tools signal generator sine wave creates harmonics / overtones?

Hello there,

Is it normal that Pro Tools' sine wave generator creates harmonics / overtones?

Or is it the Pro Tools engine creating the overtones?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr tools.jpg (76.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-19-2017, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools signal generator sine wave creates harmonics / overtones?

Is it happening with less than 0,0 dBfs, too ?
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Is it happening with less than 0,0 dBfs, too ?
Well it happens at -3.1 rms sine upwards, not in peak mode obviously, not enough level.

But when I put it to 3.1 where the overtones don't happen and add a trim plugin, compensating for the missing 3.1, no overtones whatsoever.

Is that a built in feature? Or a bug?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeez.jpg (77.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by atticmike; 01-19-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 AM

From wikipedia :
"RMS: For the case in which the RMS value of a full-scale square wave is designated 0 dBFS, all possible dBFS measurements are negative numbers. A sine wave cannot exist at a larger RMS value than −3 dBFS without clipping by this convention."

The clipping produces those overtones, so I would not call it a bug but physics/mathemetics.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060

Last edited by joachim; 01-19-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:06 AM

Sine wave generator in PT does not generate significant harmonics. I see nothing but red lights in your screen shot, so yes, everything's clipping.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-19-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
From wikipedia :
"RMS: For the case in which the RMS value of a full-scale square wave is designated 0 dBFS, all possible dBFS measurements are negative numbers. A sine wave cannot exist at a larger RMS value than −3 dBFS without clipping by this convention."

The clipping produces those overtones, so I would not call it a bug but physics/mathemetics.
Well how do you explain that I was able to raise the level with a trim plugin while harmonics didn't occur? Pro Tools 12's engine runs at floating point so there shouldn't be any level restriction, which explains why if I stop at -3.1 and add more gain with the trim plugin, it will not create any harmonics whatsoever and I can stack this signal as much as I like.

Don't throw in physics and mathematics if you can't recite fourier formulas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Sine wave generator in PT does not generate significant harmonics. I see nothing but red lights in your screen shot, so yes, everything's clipping.
And as for you, Mr. Burbank, if you looked a little closer, you'd see that I've merely monitored the signal, which does not pertain to any harmonics displayed. But what did I expect, to ask Pro Tools users for theoretical, system oriented and non-production based questions... How do you explain then that on the right side, I can go past that level by not going beyond -3.0 and using a trim plugin to compensate? Surely trim should clip now, BECAUSE IT IS ALL RED oO Sometimes, I feel like people still mix like it's 2004.

Anyways, solved it, it is the signal generator which generates some kind of harmonics past -3.0 rms.

Last edited by atticmike; 01-19-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
Well it happens at -3.1 rms sine upwards, not in peak mode obviously, not enough level.

But when I put it to 3.1 where the overtones don't happen and add a trim plugin, compensating for the missing 3.1, no overtones whatsoever.

Is that a built in feature? Or a bug?
How about showing us your 'evidence' in a signal analysis plugin and NOT some EQ or channel strip plugin? Then we'll talk. I've done enough signal analysis that I should be able to separate the bs from the chaff.

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
How about showing us your 'evidence' in a signal analysis plugin and NOT some EQ or channel strip plugin? Then we'll talk. I've done enough signal analysis that I should be able to separate the bs from the chaff.
Right above, you can see the bluecat analysis tool. which has nothing to do with channel strips if the metric halo plot irritates you.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
Right above, you can see the bluecat analysis tool. which has nothing to do with channel strips if the metric halo plot irritates you.
Where in the chain is the BC plugin - before or after the MH plugin? To make your point that the signal generator is creating harmonics you really need to have the BC plugin before the MH strip and not after. Because if it's after you're not really able to prove your point about the generator plugin right?

QAPLA!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:12 AM

The screenshots are a bit too fuzzy for me to tell what's going on, and I'm not gonna dig into this deeply, but it is worth saying that the PT sig generator has never been the cleanest thing out there - sufficient for checking gain structure, setting interface levels, etc, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it for any kind of real "analysis". If I need pure tones for distortion tests, linearity sweeps, aliasing tests, etc, I generally use the programmable generator in Spectrafoo which works quite well and can do just about anything I need. That said, those screenshots sure look like something else is going on - distortion products 10dB down - seems like clipping somewhere in the chain to me...

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6