Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-16-2022, 02:26 PM

Default Re: disk not full - Recording terminated

Or grab a new big external SSD and put everything there in one place and test (and might be a better workflow anyhow)? Nice to be able to do tests there without risking anything set up now. Western Digital and Glyph have really nice Thunderbolt 3 external SSDs.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:32 PM

It is not permissions, you can rule that out. If the disk is failing there is nothing you can do except swap it to a new working one.

If it is just a matter of disk being too slow, you need to replace that "puny" storage with something that can handle the task at hand.

You have not provided any storage benchmarks, such as BlackMagic SpeedTest so all we can do is guessing.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Or grab a new big external SSD and put everything there in one place and test (and might be a better workflow anyhow)? Nice to be able to do tests there without risking anything set up now. Western Digital and Glyph have really nice Thunderbolt 3 external SSDs.
will investigate new SSD next week when I have the first week off in months since a film got pushed back,,,

I'm also going to update Monteray and move to 22.7 or maybe 22.4
Old 09-16-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It is not permissions, you can rule that out. If the disk is failing there is nothing you can do except swap it to a new working one.

If it is just a matter of disk being too slow, you need to replace that "puny" storage with something that can handle the task at hand.

You have not provided any storage benchmarks, such as BlackMagic SpeedTest so all we can do is guessing.
ha sorry the 'puny' referred to size ( 500gig ) its an internal SSD

well the external USB seagates are to slow to run session and recod 5 lots of 5.1 nd 5 lots of stereo simulataneously

I am a bit worried now, as have had a couple of files disappear and then reappear later.....

I got this 2018 mac mini off ebay as an 'emergency purchase' as my old 2013 mac mini was sinking, ( I was working on a titanic style movie at the time )

I am considering getting a new MacBook Pro, and maybe usign darryl's idea and a fast SSD external drive to run everything off.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:22 PM

Fast ssd means it is not "just usb-c connector" but really taking advantage of thunderbolt speeds. For example my old lacie chassis that now has 8TB ssd installed is TB2 (not three) or USB 3.0 (not 3.1) and there is a world of difference. With that said I am only using it as storage.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:43 PM

the problem with just having 2 thunder bolt ports..

I have AJA T tap on one thunderbolt - and thunderbolt to firewire running my Focusrite.. I'm happy working with it, most of my stuff is made ITB

will have to look at daisy chaining...

any ideas on why one of my recordings disappeared then reappeared? I had a couple of other files do that recently as well.. scary stuff,

if the internal SSD fails then its curtains for the computer?!
Old 09-16-2022, 10:43 PM

With my home system I have the same Mini as you. And an Aja T-Tap. I run sessions off a USB 3.1 enclosure holding 2 SSDs. You do not need Thunderbolt 3 to run sessions. I've done modest film mixes from this setup. Audio doesn't eat that much bandwidth and even with 150 tracks they aren't all playing data at once. The need for Thunderbolt is overblown. The speed is nice but it is not the cause of your problem.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:40 PM

hey thanks Will, yeh I dont think its a speed thing, I've done about 10 fillms off this particular set up no issue,

I think its more likely some file system issue. Of course it only happens when urgent hahah..

at the end of the day I just shrugged my shoulders and consolidated.. Audio was out of spec anyway - so turning it down 0.7dB and merging sort of worked..