Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-05-2022, 12:39 PM

Default MIDI Issue between Behringer XR18 and ProTools 11

I've been using my Behringer XR18 and ProTools 11 for several years to successfully record our band's rehearsals. I am now taking a course that requires me to use MIDI too and am having a tough time. Of note is that when I plug the hardware into a VERY old MacBook Pro (Circa 2013 or 2014), Logic Pro X works fine and sees my MIDI keyboard info pass through the Behringer.

PLATFORM INFO
* HP Laptop, 8th gen i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD drive, Win 10
* ProTools 11
* Behringer XR18 mixer (all software/firmware is up to date)
* An old Yamaha PSR 510 keyboard with 5-pin DIN MIDI in/out (no USB MIDI)

ISSUE:
I have set the MIDI/AUDIO setup on the XR18 to USB-DIN MIDI Passthrough and ProTools sees the existence of the XR18. I've created a MIDI Track and an aux track and an instrument track. But, no midi data about the music I play on the Yamaha seems to be coming through to the MIDI track and hence not routable to either the aux track or the instrument track. Manually mousing on the instrument creates activity on either the instrument track or the aux track (depending on routing). As noted above, I can get Logic Pro X on an old Macbook pro to work, so this is not a bad cable, or XR18 setup issue, it is me not knowing how to setup ProTools. Admittedly I am a TOTAL MIDI beginner (please be gentle). Here are some screen shots (sorry, I can't figure out how to scale them here, so some are BIG)

XR18 Midi setup:

ProTools Midi Studio Setup:

Beat Clock:

Input Filters:

MIDI Devices:

Some Tracks:
Old 02-08-2022, 07:18 AM

Default Re: MIDI Issue between Behringer XR18 and ProTools 11

Welcome to the DUC. Sorry, no screen shots(probably because you are a new member). In any case, since you show a Windows laptop, the key to successful midi is the proper setup. In Pro Tools, go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. In this window, create a new "instrument" and name it as you like(I would likely name it Yamaha). The next details of brand and model are optional(these will not affect function). The bit that is crucial is the Input Path and that will probably look something like XR18 Midi In[Emulated](don't ask me what [Emulated] means as I have no clue. It just shows up a lot). Unless you need to send midi back to the keyboard, you can skip the Output Path. By default, all 16 channels should be in blue(highlighted) and you should leave it that way. Doing this tells Pro Tools where to "look for" incoming midi data. You may also need to enable Record-ready on your INSTRUMENT track before the keyboard will trigger a virtual instrument(I use MiniGrand for testing, but it does take several seconds to load up sounds)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-09-2022, 12:33 AM

Thanks Dave for the help.

I have made some progress by doing a complete uninstall of ProTools and virtual instruments, deleted its directory under C:\program files, and then using Regedit to clean up as many entries as I could find that were for ProTools.

After I reinstalled, I was able to get midi into protools and the mini-grand virtual instrument. Now I am having a problem of constant popping and some crackling sounds on the audio output side of things. I am guessing this may be either a buffer issue or ignorance on my part about routing in ProTools. I'm a total MIDI newbie. I used PT 11 for several years to record audio through the Berhringer XR18 and that worked fine.

Thanks again .............. Dave,
Dave

PS: Images can be found at hodler dot dpix4u dot com/xr18midi That will give you a directory that you can see the files by clicking on the file names. And yes, I am a new years here.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:31 PM

Just remember, trashing prefs or reinstalling is likely to blow out your Midi Studio settings(good idea to Export the settings so you can restore quickly).

Old 02-10-2022, 01:49 AM

Hi Dave,
Yeppers on having to redo the Midi Studio Settings entries, but it paid off.
The cracking/popping on the other hand seems to be fixed by modifying (increasing) the buffered sample count a bit.

BTW, my name is Dave, but a few people call me ........ $#@(%#@_*
Old 02-10-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchamus View Post

BTW, my name is Dave, but a few people call me ........ $#@(%#@_*
So..you have heard of me