Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2023, 04:11 PM

Default MTRX vs Prism Converters

I am wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare Prism converters (Titan, Atlas or ADA-8XR) to the Avid MTRX, MTRX Studio or DAD converters.

I'm currently using a Titan with DigiLink and HD Native and it works seamlessly with Pro Tools.

I had an ADA-8XR (with DigiLink as well) for some time, but the integration with Pro Tools was a bit quirky and using it was cumbersome at times. I did prefer the converters in the ADA-8XR to the Titan though.

I want to stay in the Avid eco system because I don't want to have to use third-party software for low-latency monitoring. Been there/done that.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone that has used both Prism and MTRX or DAD.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:25 PM

Default Re: MTRX vs Prism Converters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLocascio View Post
I am wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare Prism converters (Titan, Atlas or ADA-8XR) to the Avid MTRX, MTRX Studio or DAD converters.

I'm currently using a Titan with DigiLink and HD Native and it works seamlessly with Pro Tools.

I had an ADA-8XR (with DigiLink as well) for some time, but the integration with Pro Tools was a bit quirky and using it was cumbersome at times. I did prefer the converters in the ADA-8XR to the Titan though.

I want to stay in the Avid eco system because I don't want to have to use third-party software for low-latency monitoring. Been there/done that.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone that has used both Prism and MTRX or DAD.
Super happy with the flexibility and A/D in my MTRX here. I am guessing it might depend on what you are looking for in your application. I'm sure like anything, A/D may vary, but totally happy with what I get out of mine here since March 2021 when I put mine in for my ATMOS room. No experience with the other, but look like good boxes.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-16-2023, 05:32 PM

Thanks G.

I'm trying to get an idea if the MTRX Studio would be a step up in conversion quality from the Titan, or if it would just be another shade of the same color, so to speak.

Last edited by MLocascio; 01-16-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:07 PM

The MTRX is great because of its flexibility and being supported by Avid.

On the other hand, it is in some respects not that different to other third party interfaces in terms of Pro Tools integration: whilst it does identify itself as a MTRX to Pro Tools, insert delay values are not reported to Pro Tools, so for correct delay compensation you need to measure this yourself. (This is understandable because DADman lets you patch anything to anything, and this could change dynamically whilst Pro Tools is running, but it is frustrating.)

A colleague whose ears I trust compared a bunch of converters including the MTRX and ended up choosing the ADA-8XR, FWIW.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
The MTRX is great because of its flexibility and being supported by Avid.

On the other hand, it is in some respects not that different to other third party interfaces in terms of Pro Tools integration: whilst it does identify itself as a MTRX to Pro Tools, insert delay values are not reported to Pro Tools, so for correct delay compensation you need to measure this yourself. (This is understandable because DADman lets you patch anything to anything, and this could change dynamically whilst Pro Tools is running, but it is frustrating.)

A colleague whose ears I trust compared a bunch of converters including the MTRX and ended up choosing the ADA-8XR, FWIW.
Seems like a good choice. I do love my MTRX for what I do. If you don't need the flexibility like what I am using here, plus DAD just builds really great stuff, then the ADA might be worth a look. I know that BT digs the Lynx Stuff, but hey he has $ to spend on whatever he wants. He has like 4 of them for his analog room and says they are the best to his ears. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...32-tb3/reviews
P.S. Luke. Saw your site. Nice work you do btw-:)
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 02-16-2023, 10:49 AM

To LukeHoward,

Enjoyed listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N177...w09ak4&index=1

MTRX Studio user here considered Lynx and a custom build before going the Avid route with ProTools Ultimate as DADMan has so many options to route audio.

Regards
Old 02-17-2023, 12:06 PM

Just to add a POV, which converter used has never made a difference on whether a recording is a "hit" Buy what suits your budget and your needs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandM View Post
To LukeHoward,

Enjoyed listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N177...w09ak4&index=1

MTRX Studio user here considered Lynx and a custom build before going the Avid route with ProTools Ultimate as DADMan has so many options to route audio.

Regards
Thank you!

Yes, per this and the next comment, the routing flexibility of DADman is what sold me rather than the last 1% of subjective conversion quality. The only thing that's frustrating is the lack of automatic delay compensation on inserts, but as I mentioned earlier I understand why it's the case.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLocascio View Post
Based on this, I'm unsure why you're asking. I've been using a Titan for a while and couldn't be happier with its sound. I did intense research before buying and the consensus was pretty clear that the Prism was top shelf when it comes to sound, something I easily confirmed within 20 minutes of using it.

So that just brings us to functionality. An Avid interface might render a better experience w/ ProTools, but, as you've said, it works seamlessly with the PTHDX module (I assume this is what you have), so there's nothing to gain there either.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Based on this, I'm unsure why you're asking. I've been using a Titan for a while and couldn't be happier with its sound. I did intense research before buying and the consensus was pretty clear that the Prism was top shelf when it comes to sound, something I easily confirmed within 20 minutes of using it.

So that just brings us to functionality. An Avid interface might render a better experience w/ ProTools, but, as you've said, it works seamlessly with the PTHDX module (I assume this is what you have), so there's nothing to gain there either.
I have owned many converters over the past 25+ years (DigiDesign 888, DigiDesign 192, Avid HD I/O, Apogee Rosetta 800, Apogee AD/DA 16x, Universal Audio Apollo 16, IZ Radar Nyquist, Cranesong HEDD 192, Prism Orpheus, Prism ADA-8XR, Prism Titan, Burl Mothership, Burl B2 A/D), so my thoughts about how these converters sound and integrate with Pro Tools are my own through many years of experience, not based on research or general consensus.

I asked the question to see if anyone that is very familiar with both the Titan and the MTRX Studio would share their thoughts about how the converters compare.

As it turns out, I acquired a MTRX Studio about six weeks ago. While I think the Titan converters are good, I prefer the MTRX Studio converters to the Titan (I also preferred the Prism ADA-8XR over the Titan, and prefer the Burl B2 A/D for tracking some sources over all of the above. I still own the Burl B2).

I am using the MTRX Studio as my monitor controller now as well, so I sold the Titan and the Grace m905 that I was using for monitor control.

As for functionality, the MTRX Studio is definitely not plug-and-play like the Titan was. The network setup, Dante setup and DADman setup for the MTRX Studio was very involved and took some time for me to get everything up and running.

Very happy with the MTRX Studio.

Last edited by MLocascio; 03-20-2023 at 11:10 AM.