Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-30-2022, 03:29 AM

Default Unable to run Pro Tools as current Mac user

As in the title, I can't run Pro Tools in the current Mac admin user I use everyday, when I click on the Pro Tools icon to start it, it just jumps two or three times on the Dock and then nothing happens, even Not even the little white dot under the icon appears. Then I created a couple of new Mac users that ran Pro Tools flawlessly, whether they were administrators or not. I've been using other DAWs before without any issues, but Pro Tools I really tried everything and couldn't get it to work. I've tried reinstalling Pro Tools, changing the directory username, closing the iCloud folder, etc. to no avail. So please, is there a way to get Pro Tools to launch while I'm sticking with current Mac users? thank you all!
Old 10-30-2022, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Unable to run Pro Tools as current Mac user

It would help immensely if you’d provide details. What computer model? Which specific OS? What specific version of Pro Tools? Do all the optimizations? What interface? There’s nothing for us to go on here.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:16 AM

Start here: Help Us Help You

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-30-2022, 11:42 AM

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

The link above is "Help Us Help You"

It's not beside the point. Do EVERYTHING in this document.

Provide ALL the requested information.

You can be helped faster and more appropriately AFTER you do the above.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-30-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamours View Post
As in the title, I can't run Pro Tools in the current Mac admin user I use everyday, when I click on the Pro Tools icon to start it, it just jumps two or three times on the Dock and then nothing happens, even Not even the little white dot under the icon appears. Then I created a couple of new Mac users that ran Pro Tools flawlessly, whether they were administrators or not. I've been using other DAWs before without any issues, but Pro Tools I really tried everything and couldn't get it to work. I've tried reinstalling Pro Tools, changing the directory username, closing the iCloud folder, etc. to no avail. So please, is there a way to get Pro Tools to launch while I'm sticking with current Mac users? thank you all!
Welcome to DUC.

Others have already pointed you at the optimization and standard troubleshooting stuff.

In future it's a good idea to post your system/setup specs in your post, folks may not notice them in your profile (and it can be more of a pain to get to for folks on mobile devices) and frankly so many other users here have out of date info in their profiles that many of us stop trusting it.. but in your case obvious that it's new info.

Macbook Pro 16 2019
macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10

... which all looks great from a compatibility viewpoint.

I keep saying it, and will say it again.... Reinstalling Pro Tools is a frequent waste of time. It's maybe one of the last things you should try after doing the bulk of standard troubleshooting. Don't waste time doing it again (unless you need to change the version installed).

One of the reasons Pro Tools will work for a new Admin account and not an existing account is the existing account Pro Tools preferences are corrupt. You should always begin troubleshooting by trashing prefs. Use Pete Gates' PT Prefs utility to make it easy. http://petegates.com/pg-pt-prefs.html. Just always start by trashing prefs. One of the reasons standard troubleshooting includes creating a new admin account is because it's a backup test for folks who have not trashed prefs properly, but that's not the only reason.

Reinstalling Pro Tools does *not* trash prefs, or replace/update plugins all of which cause a large number of problems.

And one reason an application will bounce in the dock and not start is it's failing to contact Apple's code signature certificate revocation servers. The Mac has to believe it's online and has a network route to those servers for it to try to do this. I'd normally expect this to fail for all new admin accounts, but there may be reasons why it fails for one admin user.... so the simple test there is remove your Mac from all network access, disable WiFi, physically unplug any Ethernet cables, make sure it's not pairing though an iPhone etc. And to be paranoid reboot. Now try it... does it bounce? If not you likely have a networking/routing/personal firewall problem you need to solve.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:51 AM

Sorry everyone, this is the first time I use this forum. I don't know that I need to add my device information to the post after filling in my device list in the personal settings. I solved this problem by myself some time ago. Forum, I haven't responded to you all the time, so I'm sorry to everyone here!
This problem was solved perfectly a few days ago. I saw an instruction on the Chinese website, which can perfectly fix the problem of user folder permissions disorder caused by using the system migration assistant of macOS. After I executed that instruction, my problem was solved perfectly!
Here's that command: sudo chown $(whoami):admin /Users/$(whoami) && sudo chown -R $(whoami):admin /Users/$(whoami) .
I have reported this solution to Avid official customer service. Thank you for your concern about my question, and I apologize for the negligence when I asked the question!