How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Performance: Buffer size or FW interface

Hello,

I'm trying to get the cheapest 250 GB drive possible for good performance. I've narrowed it down to the Maxtor OneTouch and the LaCie.

The Maxtor has a 16MB buffer, but only FW400 connection, while the LaCie has an 8MB buffer but with a FW800 connection. So my question is, which has a greater impact on performance, buffer size or FW interface type? I've done searches on this and can't seem to find an answer.

I'm running both audio and video on a dual-1.8 G5 and 002.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Performance: Buffer size or FW interface

Dumb question? Little traffic on the ol 'storage subsystems' room?

At this point I'm prepared to make the assumption that the higher connection speed is more important than the buffer.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Performance: Buffer size or FW interface

You´re probably right. Faster FW = better performance. Big buffer is a good thing of course but I don´t know whether it´s an issue in this case. Correct me if I´m wrong.

And here comes a word of warning (based on experience from several overheated and toasted Maxtors):

I have that "One Touch" drive. It runs very hot like all big Maxtors. Now, it has worked flawlessly for a Month or two but I know what will happen sooner or later: the tiny little fan will die , unnoticed, the drive will go. Those mini fans do not last, had the same happen to a removable drive once. When a quiet case fan stops working your drive´s bearings will burn... the last Maxtor I returned got a .30 cal hole in the middle - and the warranty WORKED.

WD time for now. I´m not bashing Maxtors,just too much bad luck during the last douple of years.

All I´ve heard about Lacie FW drives has been positive. Good luck, to save a buck in a wrong place can get very expensive.

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php