Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 05:42 PM

Default blue screen on first boot, can\'t uninstall

Hi all and thanks for helping,

I just bought a brand new Dell i6000 w/ XP Pro specifically for Digi b/c it was listed on the "approved" list on the spec sheet for ProTools 6.7 w. Mbox, which I have.

I tried to install 1 hour after the machine arrived.

During install I got a warning message - something about the software not being MS Logo certified. I ignored that since i had it running on another XP Pro machine.

On first launch, blue screen of death. I've had this computer for 90 minutes!

I tried to uninstall, and the software won't. It's stuck on a partial install. The digi directory is there, but only part full (comparing to a healthy install on another machine).

I searched the knowledge base and found something about a DEP fix...that might account for the first issue.

But what about the inability to uninstall?

Many thanks,
d
Old 05-23-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: blue screen on first boot, can\'t uninstall

Hi everyone,

I'm replying to myself, to supply more info.

* Tried to install over the current partial install, and halfway through got an error dialogue box that says:

Component transfer effor
Component: Program Files
File Group: PT Folder Icon
File: <iconPath>\
Error The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I can not install or uninstall at this point.

So typical...invest in the better, "known compatible" machine, and it craps out. Bummer!
Old 05-23-2005, 08:00 PM

in my experience, the best thing to do with Dell systems is to find the Windows XP and drivers install CD and start fresh. (if you have an SP1 install CD, use that)

there is so much crap on these machines straight out of the factory that anything could be causing the problem.

also, enter the BIOS setup programme and check that wireless networking, etc. is disabled.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:09 AM

Solved this finally. Here's the update, for the archive:

Dell tech support walked me through a factory restore. On boot, when the dell logo comes on, hit Control->F11. You should go to a screen that enables you to restore. It took me three tries to get it timed right, so be patient. This will take you all the way back to "out of the box" condition...you'll have to name the computer and everything. But, it only takes 10 minutes and can be redone as needed, whereas a clean install takes hours. I believe this is unique to the Dell machines, but I don't know that. Others may have a similar process.

The tech then walked me through a process that I can not remember well enough to detail here, but the result was it turned off DEP. We did that at the command prompt. The tech found the solution after I read him the "0xXXXXXXXXX" number that appeared on my "blue screen of death", and he did some research. I did NOT use this fix found in the Digi Answerbase for turning off DEP: http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cfm?DID=29096. But I suppose that might be something to try before you resort to tech support.

Since restoring the computer (not using Restore Points, but as described above) and turning off DEP, and reinstalling ProTools LE, everything seems to work.

Hope this helps.

Best,
d