Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-27-2022, 10:42 AM

Default Pro Tools Ultimate- Run on Multiple Computers?

I recently upgraded pro tools 10 to pro Tools ultimate (2022.5) on my IMac. Can I also download Ultimate on my laptop (MacBook Pro) too so i have in running on both computers? I am guessing i would need to throw the USB ilock device in the laptop but is there anything else i would need to set this up? Just download ultimate off the website? Any extra charge if you run the software on more than one computer?

Also if I using Pro Tools Utlimate with Catalina on my Imac and using it with Big Sur on my MacBook will i run into any compatibility issues or other types of issues if I am recording on the same sessions?
Old 06-27-2022, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate- Run on Multiple Computers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1234 View Post
I recently upgraded pro tools 10 to pro Tools ultimate (2022.5) on my IMac. Can I also download Ultimate on my laptop (MacBook Pro) too so i have in running on both computers? I am guessing i would need to throw the USB ilock device in the laptop but is there anything else i would need to set this up? Just download ultimate off the website? Any extra charge if you run the software on more than one computer?
There are three types of license now, called: Pro Tools Artist, Studio or Flex.
You want Flex.
The installing is really simple; there is only one installer, and what features are available when you run PT is determined by the license you have on your iLok, and you can use it on as many computers you want.

Quote:
Also if I using Pro Tools Utlimate with Catalina on my Imac and using it with Big Sur on my MacBook will i run into any compatibility issues or other types of issues if I am recording on the same sessions?
No problem as long as the version installed and the OS are compatible.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:05 AM

You can install Pro Tools on any computer you use, both mac and windows.

You will need your iLok license in order to actually use it though. Either with the iLok key or iLok Cloud.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-27-2022, 11:08 AM

For compatibility questions, look at Avid's compatibility chart(with OSX, it changes too often for me to follow). Regarding installs, you can install on any number of computers and either Windows or OSX. The software needs the iLok to open and run. Now there is the "cloud" iLok method, but I am not a fan and recommend using a physical iLok whenever possible.

Also, in case you are not aware of this; there is only 1 Pro Tools installer for all tiers. The iLok license tells the software which features to run(so you could use a license for PT Artist if you needed to be able to run 2 computers at the same time, but with the reduced features on the computer with the cheaper license). Hope that makes sense

Heh...looks like my typing is sloooooooow

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-27-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
For compatibility questions, look at Avid's compatibility chart(with OSX, it changes too often for me to follow). Regarding installs, you can install on any number of computers and either Windows or OSX. The software needs the iLok to open and run. Now there is the "cloud" iLok method, but I am not a fan and recommend using a physical iLok whenever possible.

Also, in case you are not aware of this; there is only 1 Pro Tools installer for all tiers. The iLok license tells the software which features to run(so you could use a license for PT Artist if you needed to be able to run 2 computers at the same time, but with the reduced features on the computer with the cheaper license). Hope that makes sense

Heh...looks like my typing is sloooooooow
Thanks for the response. If you don't mind sharing, just curious why you aren't a fan of the Cloud ilok method. If you don't use this than you have to keep taking the ilock and inserting it into whatever computer you are using each time you switch. Not that this is a huge hassle or anything, but if you forget to take the ilock than you are screwed right? Why aren't you a fan of it?
Old 06-27-2022, 02:59 PM

You are always somewhere with perfectly reliable Internet connectivity? During the whole time you are using Pro Tools?

And like iLok has never had a problem with its online services?

The consensus amongst folks here seems to be lots of us prefer a physical iLok.

Take precautions, add a bright ribbon, Tile tracker or Apple AirTag, and your contact info to the iLok. Enrol in ZDT and have a spare blank iLok you can redeposit a temp license to if you invoke ZDT.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response. If you don't mind sharing, just curious why you aren't a fan of the Cloud ilok method. If you don't use this than you have to keep taking the ilock and inserting it into whatever computer you are using each time you switch. Not that this is a huge hassle or anything, but if you forget to take the ilock than you are screwed right? Why aren't you a fan of it?
Simple, iLok cloud needs a 100% perfect internet connection 100% of the time. This is not overly realistic. The slightest glitch from the ISP or the power line can cause the connection to go down, and even a few milliseconds can throw an iLok message forcing you to save/close the session. As bad as that is, what if it happens in the middle of the perfect recording pass? A physical iLok(for me) is 100% reliable, 100% of the time(unless you break it). I know some have managed to break their iLoks, but I never have in 18 years(but for portable use, I would always use a short USB extension or tethered hub to prevent breakage).

Re forgetting to take your iLok; its a valid point, but if you forget to end the cloud session at home, you will be equally screwed when you go to fire up the portable rig(or vice versa). Personally, I would get a license for Artist or Studio for the portable rig(do you really need Ultimate at all, never mind on both setups) This is strictly my opinion and you are free to do as you please. I just want you to think it thru with all the info to make the best choice for you

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-27-2022, 04:39 PM

Yes - I tried the iLok Cloud once and loved it - until my internet went out and I couldn't work! People say "but my internet is very stable", and so is mine, but there are still going to be times when it's down. I don't want to go through that again so I use the physical iLok.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 06-27-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Re forgetting to take your iLok; its a valid point, but if you forget to end the cloud session at home, you will be equally screwed when you go to fire up the portable rig(or vice versa).
Not true. It's simply a question of logging in with iLok license manager, and closing the so-called cloud session. This does not have to be done on the machine you forgot to close it on.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Simple, iLok cloud needs a 100% perfect internet connection 100% of the time. This is not overly realistic. The slightest glitch from the ISP or the power line can cause the connection to go down, and even a few milliseconds can throw an iLok message forcing you to save/close the session. As bad as that is, what if it happens in the middle of the perfect recording pass? A physical iLok(for me) is 100% reliable, 100% of the time(unless you break it). I know some have managed to break their iLoks, but I never have in 18 years(but for portable use, I would always use a short USB extension or tethered hub to prevent breakage).

Re forgetting to take your iLok; its a valid point, but if you forget to end the cloud session at home, you will be equally screwed when you go to fire up the portable rig(or vice versa). Personally, I would get a license for Artist or Studio for the portable rig(do you really need Ultimate at all, never mind on both setups) This is strictly my opinion and you are free to do as you please. I just want you to think it thru with all the info to make the best choice for you
Thanks for the feedback. Tbh I haven't had a chance to really compare the different packages yet. Someone recommended Pro Tools Ultimate but it may be overkill for my needs. Pro Tools Artist I am certain is not enough for my needs but the one in question would be Pro Tools Studio? I am not sure what to really look for when comparing Studio vs. Ultimate so kinda just going with Ultimate to prevent running into a situation where i don't have some kind of feature I need. But truthfully Studio looks very similar to Ultimate and not seeing the differences.

But something you said is confusing, you said "I would get Artist or Studio for the portable rig". No matter what plan i choose i should be able to download it on both the Imac (home rig) and the portable rig (MacBook Pro) right? Or do some of the plans limit the # of computers you can use with it? All other posts i read seeemed to suggest there is no limit to the # of computers you can use the sotware with regardless of the plan/package you use, but please correct me if I am wrong?