How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 PM

Default Crackling noise when playback guitar recording

Guys, I'm new to recording.

I'm trying to record my accoustic guitar into a pream (Tube Ultragian MIC 200) and from there to my M-Audio Fast Track Pro, left input (bottom clicked as line). In Pro Tools I have my I/O set up is, input to LineIn M-Audio Stereo (the only option I can see), output to Analog 1/2 Fastrack (stereo).

I have my internal speakers as default (as recommened in some assistance videos).

I recorded a short playinhg with the guitar, have a good signal, and when playing back sounds initially OK, and in some parts with a crackling.

Any help will be appreciated

My configuration is:
Laptop Toshiba Osmio harman/kardon
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
i7 2.20 GHZ
RAM 8G
M-AUDIO Fast Track Pro
TUBE ULTRAGAIN MIC 200
Pro Tools 11

Last edited by andresfata; 02-28-2015 at 07:43 PM. Reason: don't see my configuration
Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 PM

Default Crackling noise when playback guitar recording

Cracking can sometimes happen if your trying to record with too low of a buffer

Also you are using 2 hard drives right?

Have you done all the optimizations, that avid recommends?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 02-28-2015 at 09:53 PM. Reason: I graduated high school I swear☺
Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Crackling noise when playback guitar recording

You are trying to use ASIO4ALL to use your computer's internal speakers aggregated with this interface? That is a bad idea, you should have studio monitors connected to the interface and should start by using the ASIO driver (no need for ASIO4ALL).

What exact "assistance video" suggested you do that? (I'd not listen to much other advice they provide...)

If you want to try to get this working your first debug test is to work out if the clicking noise (usually a clocking/drift error between the two audio devices you are trying to bravely/optimistically/magically combine) is actually in the recorded audio or just a defect during playback. If you change the playback engine in Pro Tools to just be the computer's internal audio device do you hear clicks on playback.

And set the playback engine as the ASIO driver for the FastTrack (not via ASIO4ALL) and plug a pair of headphones int the interface. Check if that records and plays with no clicking problems.

As mentioned, another trivial thing to try is increasing the IO buffer size (that can help if the clicks are recorded in the audio).

You may have clocking options in ASIO4ALL to play with, can't remember. The real fix is to buy a pair of audio monitors and connect to the interface.

If you have any more questions post a proper Sandra report as asked for under the "help us help you..." link up the top of this DUC page. For the disk partitions reported, describe on what partitons your your audio/session files and VI samples are stored.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:21 PM

In addition to what's already been said, I trust the cable that connects the UltraGain to the Fast Track goes in via a TRS connection and NOT the XLR input

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-03-2015, 01:35 AM

Daniel, no 2 hard drives. Only 1, normal laptop. Will try the increase of the buffer (need to work it out how to do it).

Darryl, it seems your comment does not refer to my question (?). I'm not using ASIO4ALL. I just installed the drivers in the M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO, coming with the installation disk of Pro Tools. The Laptop has internal speakers/sound card. I though there was some conflict within them, and the M-AUDIO. I disable the internal sound card/ speakers, same issue. I found someone on the internet saying, that the internal sound card should be the default, not the M-AUDIO. Same crackling. Left the 2 and made the M-AUDIO default. Same crackling.
My interface/M-AUDIO is connected to an external monitor (cerwin vega).

Rgds,
Old 03-03-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresfata View Post
Daniel, no 2 hard drives. Only 1, normal laptop. Will try the increase of the buffer (need to work it out how to do it).

Darryl, it seems your comment does not refer to my question (?). I'm not using ASIO4ALL. I just installed the drivers in the M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO, coming with the installation disk of Pro Tools. The Laptop has internal speakers/sound card. I though there was some conflict within them, and the M-AUDIO. I disable the internal sound card/ speakers, same issue. I found someone on the internet saying, that the internal sound card should be the default, not the M-AUDIO. Same crackling. Left the 2 and made the M-AUDIO default. Same crackling.

Rgds,
You're going to need a second drive to record to. That, and working with the system drive in a laptop you have to remember that most are 5400 rpm which is too slow for PT use.

Also have you optimized your laptop for PT use? Toshiba's tend to have a lot of extra stuff running that you don't want running. Really any daw computer needs to be properly optimized and until that's done you can and will have issues.

edit for additional:
I just looked up the Toshiba Qosmio X70 and it's stock system drive is a 5400 rpm unit. But the machine can be configured with twin ssd's. We really need more info from you to help.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 03-03-2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: looked up the Toshiba Qosmio laptop
Old 03-03-2015, 06:35 AM

You don't have a bad cable?
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 03-03-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You're going to need a second drive to record to.
I would start with this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Also have you optimized your laptop for PT use? Toshiba's tend to have a lot of extra stuff running that you don't want running.
.....and this.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresfata View Post

Rgds,
I was trying to make sense of statements like "I have my internal speakers as default"... Which many of us will likely take as you are using your internal speakers to play back through... Which means you would be aggregating your IO, which is likely to cause the exact problems you are describing. The amount of useful help you get here depends on the amount of useful info you provide.

"be the default" for what? There is no "default" setting. You mean set to be the Windows system sound device? Then yes have the audio device in the PC do that and leave the M-Audio device solely used by Pro Tools.

Start at the "Help us help you...read this before posting" Link at the top of this and every DUC web page and describe your setup in detail, including posting a Sandra report (made with all the drives connected). And what exactly is connected to what input using what cables, All the settings in the playback engine dialog page, etc. and is the PC fully optimized and what standard troubleshooting steps you have tried.... All under that link above. The things I suggested suggested earlier do not apply (except for increasing buffer size) as you are not using ASIO4ALL aggregation.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:05 AM

Thank you guys.

Was not aware of the convenience of recording to an external drive. Does it need to have any specification in particular?

No bad cable. Same issue if recording an accoustic guitar directly to M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO. (not using the ULTRAGAIN)

Run the optimization before, except for BIOS (no clear instruction, and I guess too technical for me). Will try first with increasing the buffer and using an external hard disk. If it doesn't work may need to go through the BIOS checking.

I will add the Sandra report soon.

Rgds,

Andres