Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-18-2009, 10:47 PM

Default 192 has stopped RECEIVING Audio...

I'm running a PT HD3 rig that's been working flawlessly for a couple years now. Yesterday, I went to record a VO audition, and wasn't getting any signal from my preamp. I checked the chain, and the preamp is working fine, so I opened a track I finished just a couple days ago to see if there were issues on any of the other 192 inputs and discovered that NOTHING is coming in. It's spitting audio OUT just fine, but I can't get one single input to even register a signal.

The snake seems to be connected firmly (as always), and I've ruled out the patchbay as the problem. What's more, I haven't changed a single thing in my setup, so the only possibility I can think of is heat? It got up over 100 degrees today, and my studio isn't air conditioned. It's been this hot before, but that's the ONLY thing that's changed in the last two days.

I'm kinda screwed as I've already missed the deadline for this audition, but more importantly, I have several jobs in the queue and can't work w/o the ability to get sound INTO my system. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:22 PM

Default Re: 192 has stopped RECEIVING Audio...

Have you checked hardware and I/O setup? I swear I've seen these change randomly...

Jason
Old 07-19-2009, 01:39 AM

Yes, in my setup (see below), it just randomly stopped working with the ADAT bridge hung off the legacy port yesterday.

After dumping the DAE prefs, digi databases etc, & re-selecting everything from scratch when launching PT, it all sprang back to life.....good job i didn't have a client in !

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
Yes, in my setup (see below), it just randomly stopped working with the ADAT bridge hung off the legacy port yesterday.

After dumping the DAE prefs, digi databases etc, & re-selecting everything from scratch when launching PT, it all sprang back to life.....good job i didn't have a client in !
did you change the order of powering up of your gear?

sometimes if the computer is turned on first....my 192 doesn't handshake with the G5.

try turning on the computer last.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:17 PM

I've checked and tried everything listed. I've unplugged the unit, let it cool overnight, shut down the whole system, trashed the prefs, PTdbs, started the system up in every conceivable order, checked the hardware and I/O settings, I literally can't think of ANYTHING else to try (but am still open to suggestions.)

Again, the problem is not with the handshake or the unit completely not working... Sound is going out (the Output LEDs are working + I can hear audio...) but nothing will go IN. I can't record a simple Voiceover, and Sessions that have Midi tracks triggering outboard gear are missing all the outboard gear. I can see my external synths being triggered via Midi, just like I can hear my preamp all the way up the chain 'til it hits the 192. So even though there is clearly audio being fed toward the 192, there's no sound and the Input LEDs are blank. In very simple terms...

Output's working fine, Input's completely busted. And I didn't do ANYTHING to the system (even turn off the computer) between the time it was working (2 days ago) and the time it stopped working (yesterday). Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
jg
Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 PM

I would try to get my hands on another cable that you know is working (running to the 192) and see if that is the problem. I've seen the cables go bad on a few occasions. Also, did you try to re-seat the HD cards and check the flex cable?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 PM

In the I/O setup; are you sure your inputs are set to -10 and not +4? Trashing preferences will default to +4 and if your system is set to -10 you won't hear anything.

If they are set to +4, switch them all to -10 to see if that helps.

Cheers!