Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2008, 02:54 PM

Default New ways to get the Bleep outta there

Hi All,

I am doing a doc where some of the primary subjects are using the F word quite a bit. Unfortunately the broadcasters won't allow this, even though it will sound stupid to bleep. Hence this post, I am wondering if anyone has some interesting bleeping or dipping methods etc. I have some ideas but would welcome some novel methods for dealing with this pesky menace. Thanks in advance.

Doug
Old 01-01-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Re: New ways to get the Bleep outta there

A lot of times in music videos, they'll reverse the profanity and maybe chop it up a little just to scatter it a bit. Otherwise, use a 1k tone (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'd like to hear some other methods as well. Good luck.

-Ryan

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-01-2008, 07:24 PM

I've done projects where we just dropped the word. MTV has a no bleep policy. At least it did on the show I just worked on. I like the idea of chopping up the word or reversing it. Artistically I find the whole thing dumb. You can show someone getting shot, but they can't drop the f- bomb when they get shot. I tell you, if I get shot and can still speak, you can bet that's what I'd say. Then I'd quote Beaudelaire.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I've done projects where we just dropped the word. MTV has a no bleep policy. At least it did on the show I just worked on. I like the idea of chopping up the word or reversing it. Artistically I find the whole thing dumb. You can show someone getting shot, but they can't drop the f- bomb when they get shot. I tell you, if I get shot and can still speak, you can bet that's what I'd say. Then I'd quote Beaudelaire.
Something from "Les [bleep] du Mal" perhaps? Oh, wait, that's "Les FLEURS du Mal".
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 01-02-2008, 12:54 PM

My favorite technique is to replace the offending word with room tone. If it doesn't create a convincing illusion that the speaker is restraining his or herself by swallowing the word or saying it under their breath, then throw in an appropriate sound effect, carefully placed to confuse the issue of what exactly is being said — something like a truck going by off-camera or another voice or laughter or anything else that might just thicken the texture a bit. Many listeners will swear they heard the offending word when the actually did not.

If none of that works, try copy/pasting less offensive words (taken from elsewhere in the dialog) into the speaker's mouth...to replace the offensive words. It's all a lot of fun when you have the time and a client who might buy into such an approach. But realize, some clients may prefer to go with the shock value that the bleep instantly commands.
Pro Tools 9.0
Old 01-03-2008, 06:08 AM

I always thought the bleep could be funny. They used it a bunch in arrested development. It was always funny. I guess because the actors were speaking like real people, but the broadcasters just wouldn't allow it.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 PM

I have actually bleeped non offensive words to give the impression that someone said something they didn't. Usually for comic effect or impact. Please don't tell. %$#@%$
Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM

you wouldn't do work on the Jimmy Kimmel show now would you?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Haha, one of the best bits on television!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-04-2008, 09:03 PM

$#%$#%# no. I guess they have a gag where they do that?