Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD 9 Software Upgrade - From what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
I'm a moron, explain me please...

I've got a HD2(PCI-e) with a Lynx Aurora 16.

What do I buy? The HD 9 Upgrade? This I can use with my cards or Native on another Mac/PC laptop/PC(Windows 7) if I pull the iLoK? Can I run this native on my current Mac Pro with Eleven or using a Lynx Aurora Firewire Card instead of the HD Cards? I suppose I'd need to see how that goes performance wise. I like the performance with cards.

Does HD 9 when used Native have the same performance of the full version of PT9?

What does the $648 version of the HD upgrade have over the basic upgrade?

TIA!
Hi,

If you own a HD core card you can purchase HD 9 for the upgrade price $349 this gives you the HD system that will run with the TDM cards and interfaces and also run under coreaudio with any interface. under coreaudio no TDM cards or plugins can be used nor can the HD interfaces.

If you don't own a HD system then you can't buy the HD upgrade!! but can buy pro tools 9 (which will run natively! but will not run with HD cards and hardware under DAE! when running natively you cannot use any HD Cards or TDM only plugs) pro tools 9 will only run under coreaudio or asio. pro tool 9 has some features missing from the HD version; only 96 tracks. 1 video track. no vca tracks. etc.

If you want to have pro tools 9 with the full "software" features and track count of pro tools HD9 then you'll have to buy the complete production tool kit!!!! (about $2k+)

There is a lot of confusion between pro tools 9 / pro tools HD 9 / pro tools 9 full version

Pro tools HD 9 upgrade $349, only available to HD owners with a core card serial
pro tools 9 full version $599, for people with no upgrades. restricted features over the HD version!!!!
pro tools 9 upgrades, from $99-$349. upgrade from LE or M powered

You can not buy the HD version unless you already own a HD system!!!!! only upgrade is available.

No! when HD9 is running natively it does not have the same power as when running as a HD TDM system. no TDM power is available! the cards are redundant, all you have is your computer CPU for everything!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Can I use my HD PCI core card serial # to upgrade to PT HD 9? I assume the answer is yes, but I'm not going to fork out $350 to find out I'm wrong.

Can anyone from Digi or anyone anyone else confirm this?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:13 PM

yes... we can say it once again. The PT HD9 software is tied to a hardware core serial, so even if your core card is broken you can use the serial to get the software and run it without TDM features on a Macbook or whatever.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:22 AM

imagine the following:
i have pro tools hd 7 and i can upgrade with its serial to pro tools hd 9. let's say i made an image of the disk before i did the upgrade.
now i can run pro tools hd 7 (with the hardware) from the image i've made on one computer AND pro tools hd 9 with core audio on another computer!?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 AM

I believe both versions would need an ilok license. i don't believe the license for 7 is hard disk based.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 AM

Not at the same time unless you have the backup ilok from your HD7 rig. But yes you can use HD9 on the two machines as described.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

If you own a HD core card you can purchase HD 9 for the upgrade price $349 this gives you the HD system that will run with the TDM cards and interfaces and also run under coreaudio with any interface. under coreaudio no TDM cards or plugins can be used nor can the HD interfaces.
hi Chris, i don't get it, do U mean that HD9 (tdm not native) will run as the native HD or the PT9 with core audio ?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobogura View Post
So to get this right..
I cant sell my old PCI-x core card which I'm not using anymore if I want to keep PTHD to use on my laptop?
My question exactly. See this thread.

Jason
Old 11-19-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobogura View Post
So to get this right..
I cant sell my old PCI-x core card which I'm not using anymore if I want to keep PTHD to use on my laptop?
if your sell the card you are preventing the buy from upgrading it to because you used it for the upgrade.

by my understanding of the Transfer of Ownership this is a violation
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=363631

and personally if I bought a card that I though was going to be able to upgrade but found out that it was used and ineligible I'd be pissed at the seller.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovebrother View Post
hi Chris, i don't get it, do U mean that HD9 (tdm not native) will run as the native HD or the PT9 with core audio ?
Here's how my understanding of how it works now. PT9 software is all the same software. HD, Basic, Basic+CPTK is the same installer. So you install PT9 on your system, any system. When you boot it up it looks at your ilok and what hardware is attached.

For PT9HD you need a PT9HD license and HD hardware.
If you have a PT9HD license but are running on a system without HD hardware you get PT9+CPTK.
You have a PT9 license you get basic PT9.
You have a PT9 license and a CPTK licence you get basically PT9HD but no TDM support.
And that last scenario will not allow you to run PT9 on a HD system. You still need the hardware and the license to run PT9HD.

Does that make sense?