Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-08-2016, 03:15 AM

Default Rendered Frozen Files Missing

Hey all,

I'm getting the error message that 'Rendered Frozen Files' are missing every time I open a particular session.
There are no frozen files in this particular session.

Now, I know there are a few ways I should be able to overcome this:

1. open a blank session and import session data
2. go to the audio files list and remove the missing files

Except that every time I try and import session data I get a hard quit from Protools every time the new session is almost complete with importing the data (irritating, but perhaps an indicator that there is something not quite right in the session generally)

And if I go to the audio files list, none of the offending 'missing files' are showing in the audio bin... So can't be removed...

I know exactly how I got into this situation... I was working on a session and did a 'save as' to create a new version which I could continue to develop... A few of the tracks (some of which were frozen) were not needed in the new session, so I erased them, but for some reason the session has seen them as still needed. They are not hidden by the way... All the tracks are showing, and none are hidden or inactive.

When I get the error message, I have tried ticking the 'relink' button, but it makes no difference...

Any thoughts on this...?
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 02-08-2016, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Rendered Frozen Files Missing

I have no solutions but I am currently having exactly the same issue. I boot up the session, claims there are missing frozen files despite no tracks currently being in a frozen state. It doesn't seem to matter if I click "regenerate" or not, I'm still getting the "Missing Files" dialogue box when I re-open the session. Very annoying. The "Timeline Data Online Status" is green though, which kind of implies there aren't any files missing really......
Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 AM

Same here, I enjoy having organized sessions so the error dialog bothers me upon opening certain sessions. I've also had frozen files disappear from sessions and unable to delete or find in the clip list to prevent the dialog.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:34 PM

Best solution I've found (I didn't actually need my rendered freeze files though, I just wanted to stop the damned 'missing files' popup) is to select all tracks, and then export selected tracks as a new session (don't copy audio) and put it in the same place as your original session. No more missing files dialog!

Sadly, you'll also lose any regions/files that don't actively exist in your tracks.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:06 PM

Anyone found a better way around this?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 PM

This is starting to happen on all of my sessions. Even when I unfreeze or re-freeze everything. All of the audio is there, but it says there are missing frozen tracks. Annoying!
Old 04-30-2016, 04:40 AM

I solved it by unfreezing all of the tracks. Then save a copy as with whatever tracks I want. Open that new session and then re-freeze.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:23 AM

Good morning Jon. I'm not on PT's 12 but I always scan the new posts. I'm on 9. Anyway what is meant by frozen tracks? You see I've been having this same problem in 9 for quite a while which leads me to believe that the issue has been around too long for Avid not to have addressed it. Being computer illiterate, when I get the popup missing files, it seems it's always when I've finished a session and attempt to reopen it. Sorry I'm not up on 12's terminology. I always try to let PT's regenerate the missing files but I'm an old guy and I'm not in to wasting my valuable time. This process can take forever and still not find and replace the missing files. I really am just trying to observe and learn all I can. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:00 PM

On PT 2018.4, I am experiencing a variation to the previously stated "Freeze Track" issues in this thread. I normally freeze any MIDI tracks when I have them edited correctly.

After freezing an instrument track: MIDI bass which instances Kontakt 5, I found some performance errors which I wanted to change. I unfreeze the track and the MIDI data has gone with no warning. I have the rendered track but it is now un-editable using MIDI. I go to the Clip List but cannot find all of the associated MIDI files.

BTW, the reason for my workflow of Freezing MIDi is the excessive demands that active MIDI tracks make on my DSP. It seems I am caught between a rock and a hard place here.

Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt 2
RME Octamic II
UAD Octo Satellite