Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 AM

Default Organizing Plugins / Changing How They're Displayed

I was watching some mixing tutorial and the guy had his plugins organized in a cool way. I'm talking about the big list when you insert a plugin. By default they're sorted by type, EQ, Dynamics, Reverb, Delay, etc. The guy in the video had his sorted by company, i.e. UA, Waves, etc. I don't necessarily want to organize them like he did, but I would like to know how you reorganize them. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Organizing Plugins / Changing How They're Displayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I was watching some mixing tutorial and the guy had his plugins organized in a cool way. I'm talking about the big list when you insert a plugin. By default they're sorted by type, EQ, Dynamics, Reverb, Delay, etc. The guy in the video had his sorted by company, i.e. UA, Waves, etc. I don't necessarily want to organize them like he did, but I would like to know how you reorganize them. Thanks.
It's a setting in PT prefs. Other than setting a favorite plugin to show at the top of the list there's precious little a user can do to re-order plugs.

I've noticed that you ask a lot of questions that would be easily answered by actually reading the PT User Guide aka The Manual. I'd suggest taking a quiet weekend, a couple of cups of Earl Grey or other good tea and sitting down and reading the manual. Granted you have to do it on your computer and this is one of those cases where having an iPad would come in handy - put the pdf of the manual on there and read through it.

QAPLA!
Old 10-12-2017, 05:21 AM

There's also a setting for preferred EQ and COMP and those two plugs show up on top of plugin list
Old 10-12-2017, 07:07 AM

Cool, I definitely need to check that out. PT Prefs is a third party program, ya? Or is it a part of PT?

I have concentration issues when it comes to reading manuals. Although I recently realized that I'm missing out on a whole lot of useful information by winging it. My phone has a PDF reader, so I plan on checking out the manual on my commute home from work.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Cool, I definitely need to check that out. PT Prefs is a third party program, ya? Or is it a part of PT?

I have concentration issues when it comes to reading manuals. Although I recently realized that I'm missing out on a whole lot of useful information by winging it. My phone has a PDF reader, so I plan on checking out the manual on my commute home from work.
Jeez - PT prefs are the ProTools preferences; prefs is a common abbreviation for preferences.

Concentration issues or not you really NEED to, as I wrote, take your time during a good quite weekend where there are no other distractions, and go through the manual. Tell the spouse/kids/dog that you need some private time. It's like the old saying: give a man a fish and you feed him for a meal; teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. I'm trying to get you to teach you how to fish.

QAPLA!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Jeez - PT prefs are the ProTools preferences; prefs is a common abbreviation for preferences.

Concentration issues or not you really NEED to, as I wrote, take your time during a good quite weekend where there are no other distractions, and go through the manual. Tell the spouse/kids/dog that you need some private time. It's like the old saying: give a man a fish and you feed him for a meal; teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. I'm trying to get you to teach you how to fish.
Haha. Yes, I'm full aware of the "prefs" abbreviation. I thought someone made a pref app that allows you customize PT beyond the stock preferences.