Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 AM

Default Pro Tools M-Powered doesn't permit the install on a different drive - Snow Leopard

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install Pro Tools M-Powered 8 on my Macbook, but each time that I try to change the install directory, it returns to the warning screen that says it could be a conflict between Mac OS and PT shortcuts ("Default Toggle Shortcut...").

I made two partitions in my hard drive: one to the system and the other to aplications and audio files (detail: either when I try to install the drivers of my interface is permitted the installation in the audio partition). Both of them are formatted as a Mac OS default file system (HFS+).

Is there any configuration or other formatting type that I should do?

Sorry if I'm posting a answered question but I can't find this in the software manual, any thread of the forum or google search.

Does anybody could help me?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools M-Powered doesn't permit the install on a different drive - Snow Leopar

You shouldn't do that. Pro Tools (and any other application that installs system level drivers) needs to be installed to the same drive and partition as the OS. You should install to the default location and do not move any components after install.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools M-Powered doesn't permit the install on a different drive - Snow Leopar

Thanks for the answer!

But for now, I'm a little bit confused...

The software manual says that we shouldn't work with audio in the same directory of the system files, otherwise some kind of delay could happen.

So it only refers to the track files (data wave/MIDI files that we record) and not to the software ones, correct?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 AM

The Pro Tools application itself should be installed in the OS partition. Recorded audio should be recorded to a separate physical HDD. Not a partition on the OS drive. A firewire external drive is a good choice, as USB is not supported.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Thanks all for the answers!

It's clear now!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Nascimento View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install Pro Tools M-Powered 8 on my Macbook, but each time that I try to change the install directory, it returns to the warning screen that says it could be a conflict between Mac OS and PT shortcuts ("Default Toggle Shortcut...").

I made two partitions in my hard drive: one to the system and the other to aplications and audio files (detail: either when I try to install the drivers of my interface is permitted the installation in the audio partition). Both of them are formatted as a Mac OS default file system (HFS+).

Is there any configuration or other formatting type that I should do?

Sorry if I'm posting a answered question but I can't find this in the software manual, any thread of the forum or google search.

Does anybody could help me?

Thanks in advance!
I made this mistake when I first started running OSX myself... but you don't need to make application partitions on a Mac. Most system level software requires an install on the same partition as the OS, anyway, and I find that running other software from a separate partition just tends to cause problems.

OSX does disk management well. I wouldn't bother partitioning the system drive, unless you are booting up a completely separate OS from the second partition.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 AM

I registered to the forums just to say that this is a horrible design decision, not allowing users to install to different drives.

My startup drive is a 40GB solid state drive, I'm not going to waste 12 GBs of that just on your software. Even the 2 GB install is too much to ask for, your program isn't worthy.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAwesomer View Post
I registered to the forums just to say that this is a horrible design decision, not allowing users to install to different drives.

My startup drive is a 40GB solid state drive, I'm not going to waste 12 GBs of that just on your software. Even the 2 GB install is too much to ask for, your program isn't worthy.
So then what's the point of having a super fast SSD system drive if you don't want to install any software on it?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515