Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2022, 01:14 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
And "wait" we shall, I'm afraid.

It'll be nice to see Native support but I'm honestly not sensing Rosetta here. I guess that's partially because I have nothing to compare it to yet, but I mean that nothing feels sluggish. Nothing seems to be jumping over hurdles.
Yes, although I am running an Mac Studio Max, I am not seeing much of a difference between Rosetta and native mode when running Studio One.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 06-30-2022, 03:34 PM

And btw, I'm still on P Tools 2021.12. It's working incredibly well! I'd like to ask Mac Studio owners, are all systems go with 2022.5 or 2022.6? Most of what I've read says it's safe.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 06-30-2022, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
And btw, I'm still on P Tools 2021.12. It's working incredibly well! I'd like to ask Mac Studio owners, are all systems go with 2022.5 or 2022.6? Most of what I've read says it's safe.
I think, unless I am mistaken, you are able to install multiple versions. Just make sure to rename the earlier version.
Almost every plugin
Old 06-30-2022, 10:24 PM

Yeah, 2022.6 working great here on Mac Studio Ultra.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 07-01-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Sol Levante Mix session hovered around 20%, occasionally hitting 23%. 64 sample Buffer.
Eric, are you seeing what another poster had written that changing the buffer size doesn't do much?

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
I think, unless I am mistaken, you are able to install multiple versions. Just make sure to rename the earlier version.
Oh that gives me the willies. After decades of Pro Tools I'm quite spooked by pushing any envelopes. Over time, I've become incredibly cautious with it. When I get a system and machine that works, I'll stick with it until it's covered in barnacles or technical evolution - or production needs - forces me to change.

BUT! If I get enough + votes I'll do it cuz the upgrades look good
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 07-01-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Oh that gives me the willies. After decades of Pro Tools I'm quite spooked by pushing any envelopes. Over time, I've become incredibly cautious with it. When I get a system and machine that works, I'll stick with it until it's covered in barnacles or technical evolution - or production needs - forces me to change.

There’s no problem at all doing it on a Mac. I and many others have been doing it for years. If you’re really paranoid you can use the PT Prefs app to backup all the pref files etc. so you can revert the prefs if you want to go back to a previous version.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Eric, are you seeing what another poster had written that changing the buffer size doesn't do much?

Carl
It doesn't have an effect to the same degree as the former Intel Mac but since others have been posting PT meter readings that's what I went with for an apples to apples comparison. I know this isn't a great gauge.

However, I just checked Activity Monitor and it's about the same. ~20%
Old 07-01-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I'm not a fan of multiple simultaneous versions of PT either (sharing PT Prefs files of different iterations can cause issues that might not be immediately recognized), but I can say that 2022.6 is stable and solid... so far. I wouldn't consider my 4 hours of testing comprehensive, but it's been smooth today.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of multiple simultaneous versions of PT either (sharing PT Prefs files of different iterations can cause issues that might not be immediately recognized), but I can say that 2022.6 is stable and solid... so far. I wouldn't consider my 4 hours of testing comprehensive, but it's been smooth today.
Thanks Eric. Means a lot to me! And yes, multiple versions of PT seems to be taunting the hungry lion. If 2021.12 wasn't working so well for me I might feel different about experimenting. When I get my current project done (remixing old music from tape for a UK label's reissue of an old vinyl record of mine) I'll update!

Thanks
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com