Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-28-2022, 07:09 AM

Default Windows Playback while using PT?

Hello there,

Is it possible to run Pro Tools and still have windows playback in a browser or other apps?

Also, another issue I had is having multiple playback devices of my laptop, when selecting a different one that is preselected in PT, it will regardless always revert to the other one. Why is that?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2022, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Windows Playback while using PT?

I'm not sure if you are talking about device sharing or not, but in general, you do not want Pro Tools and Windows using the same audio device.

What you are describing will work fine if you have an external ASIO audio interface in use by Pro Tools. Then you can use something like your internal computer audio, which uses a WDM driver to play back audio on the computer output.

If Pro Tools is defaulting to another audio device when it starts, there is a good chance that you are sharing and PT do not see that as an available audio source, and defaults to something else.

System Details
Old 03-28-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
I'm not sure if you are talking about device sharing or not, but in general, you do not want Pro Tools and Windows using the same audio device.

What you are describing will work fine if you have an external ASIO audio interface in use by Pro Tools. Then you can use something like your internal computer audio, which uses a WDM driver to play back audio on the computer output.

If Pro Tools is defaulting to another audio device when it starts, there is a good chance that you are sharing and PT do not see that as an available audio source, and defaults to something else.
Okay ya gotcha, that's not a problem, but let's say I'm on the road and only use my headphone outs, then I have the speaker out and headphone out available in PT, speaker out selected as default.

But when I select the headphone out and press ok, it just goes back to speaker out, I have to disable the speakers in Window's audio settings in order to use them in PT because PT always goes back to speaker out even though I selected headphone out in the playback engine....

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2022, 10:09 AM

Again, I'm pretty sure this comes down to device/driver sharing. Your internal laptop audio is a single device, using a single driver with different output paths, speakers and headphones. I'm not sure if something like ASIO4ALL would help with this, but it may. I typically don't suggest using it because of poor performance, but for your case it may get you by.

System Details
Old 03-29-2022, 09:14 AM

I’ll echo the recommendation that even if you have a multi-client driver, it’s still a bad idea to share the hardware. Whatever sample rate Windows thinks it needs (usually 48k) will become the default sample rate for everything, whether you want it to or not. Onboard audio is nothing to write home about, so I use my Apollo 8 strictly for Pro Tools, and use a Focusrite 2i2 for Windows audio and Source Connect. Works for me.