Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-06-2022, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate Shuts Down After a few seconds

OK now I had some more time to read some of the posts above.

If this is not a gamer machine then I would not install extra stuff like GPU Tweak on it. I have no idea at all if any of this is related to any problem, but why install this extra stuff? You have got to get control of Windows installs. Windows is out to f****** cut you, don't let OEMs or motherboard manufacturers install any crap they want, some of their stuff may be critical for your use, but you decide.

I also looked though those threads about crashes caused by the on screen display in GPU Tweak and the Microsoft security update conflict and it seems like people are talking about applications crashing, not doing normal shutdowns. Assuming not everybody is confused about the difference then, that's not what seems to be happening to Pro Tools on your system. But who knows, and presumably you have excluded any chance of that know GPU Tweak issue on your system now.

=====

Oh but big mistake on my part–I forgot you won't see the app exits in the Windows Event Viewer, unless you enable that feature. I keep forgetting since my Windows box is heavily setup for debugging and has lots of stuff just enabled.

But you should definitely get this running and see if it shows anything.

You will need to install Debugging Tools for Windows (aka Windows Debug Kit) if you don't have that installed already (unlikely unless you are a developer). Start at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...download-tools (click on the standard version links, not the preview), on the next page click on the "DOWNLOAD THE INSTALLER". Run the installer you just downloaded, you only need to select the "Debugging Tools for Windows" option and install that.

Run the Global Flags (X64) utility that was just installed.

Turn on the Silent Exit monitoring for "ProTools.exe", as shown here:

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 11.08.46 PM.jpg

Run Pro Tools.

When you quit Pro Tools or something else forces it to you should see an alert popup and a log entry in Event Viewer>Windows Logs>Applications. You want to look for those events where Pro Tools seems to have shut itself down. Here is an example of Pro Tools being killed from Event Viewer (which is most definitely *not* a clean shutdown of the app).

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 11.14.10 PM.jpg

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-07-2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:15 AM

So, I took out my GPU and made the test. I connected only one screen to the motherboard(Intel Graphics). I worked for two days with no shutdowns!
Nothing crashed, no shutdowns, nothing. My plugins are all there and my external devices also.

Today I decided to connect the secondary monitor (Its a VGA connection using an adaptor to DVI, the main monitor is HDMI connecting to HDMI). Monitors are different sizes and models. Both monitors are connected to the motherboard/Intel Graphics
The same issue occured. I have been working with these two monitors for a while now and never had trouble. Could this be some Windows or PT bug maybe regarding the different resolutions in dual monitor?
The main one is LG 23MP55, the secondary is LG 20EN33.
When working with two monitors I usually extended PT and in one screen would have plugins or a video.
I also noticed that if I create, lets say, a folder (new folder) on the desktop on that second monitor the background will go black (background picture disappears).

PS: Regarding the windows thread I was trying to find out anything similar happening - even if it was with a different app. It might not be the exact solution but apparently it did shed some light into what could be the problem. Oh, I never had GPU Tweak installed, that why I mentioned PhysX (I thouht the issue could be there...).
Old 04-09-2022, 10:22 AM

I doubt anybody can guess what the problem is, I am not aware of others seeing this behavior. You should run the Windows debuging/silent exit monitoring I described above. That might point to something obvious or might not (if the exit is entirely coming from within Pro Tools).